SSD m.2 disk usage cap at 50%

Hello, 

I built a new pc at the end of last year. It has an only m.2 ssd crucial p3+ 2to where Windows 11 is installed. Ever since, only when i’m downloading larges files, typically a game (whatever the launcher) but not only (Windows downloading an update, Nvidia downloading a new pilot…), my computer freezes completely during 10 sec from time to time until the download is completed. Really annoying.  

In the task manager, process tab, disk usage cap at 50%. Won’t exceed 50%. Read somewhere it might be the problem. In performance tab, the disk is at 100% usage.

I run CrystalDiskMark, my write speed are pretty low compared to read speed. I have read that it "could be normal after the ssd is half full" (Is that true ?). Currently have 747Go free of 1.81To.

I disabled Write-caching policy. Crucial storage executive tells me the ssd is in good health and has the latest update. I force Gen4 on the M2_1 slot (where it is installed). 

Run chkdsk, sfc scannow on cmd, all good.

What can I try to check next ? 

Capture d’écran 2024-04-19 150435.png

Capture d'écran 2024-04-19 150320.png

Capture d'écran 2024-04-19 150346.png

CrystalDiskMark_20240419134337.png

Write speeds are abysmal. Perhaps try another M.2 slot or just reseat the SSD. As the speeds on random end are slower than HDD would have.

I edit my posts more often than not

Thanks for the reply. I reseated the ssd, same results. I tested another m.2 slot, I get much better speed (see below) but still feel slow compared to thoses results : https://ssd-tester.fr/crucial_p3_plus_2tb.html. Still cap at 50% on Windows though, can’t find a solution to that. Could it be a faulty motherboard ? Have I something more to check before summoning the msi warranty services ?  

CrystalDiskMark_20240422113321.png

Have you ran the "optimize and defrag drive"? "Optimizie" aka TRIM.

image.png.0696010ba8dd3072a6df4ccb26bcab6d.png

Sometimes it helps a bit.

Also, did you use the fastest, direct CPU PCIe lane M.2 at first? Then it might even be CPU issue.

Z690-A Pro WiFi by MSI? Then the CPU lane M.2 slot is the top one... others are through the mobo chipset afaik.

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

Have you ran the "optimize and defrag drive"? "Optimizie" aka TRIM.

Sometimes it helps a bit.

Yes, didn’t help 

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

Also, did you use the fastest, direct CPU PCIe lane M.2 at first? Then it might even be CPU issue.

Z690-A Pro WiFi by MSI? Then the CPU lane M.2 slot is the top one... others are through the mobo chipset afaik.

Yes I did use the CPU lane first (the m2_1). I switch this morning to the m2_3 for testing. 

1024.png

Capture d’écran 2024-04-22 135335.png

Okay, I find why my disk usage is cap at 50% and won’t go above... It is because I plugged, not to long ago, a second 2.5" SSD. Disk usage in tasks manager shows the total of the 2. One is always idleing and the other at 100%. So 50% total disk usage... If I put work on the two, the disk usage will go above 50%. I feel shame ngl. 

But definitely a problem on my m.2 ssd.

CrystalDiskMark_20240422144219.png