My laptop is locking my screen (240hz) at 144hz

MewxitonART

Hello !

I bought this monitor : https://aoc.com/us/gaming/products/monitors/c27g2ze-bk few month ago and i have an Asus TUF Gaming F15 with an i7 11800H, RTX 3050ti, 16go of RAM.

My monitor is plug on the thunderbolt to display port.

I tried many things :

- I first plug my monitor on the HDMI, but it show only up to 144hz (like on the screen). I tried this with few differents cable, but it change nothing, it's maybe because of the hdmi port on the laptop
- I tried with a thunderbolt to displayport and it show 244hz ! BUT it's not really 240hz i tried with an other PC (an old enterprise pc that I clean and upgrade a little : - xeon and 1050ti with 24go of ddr3 ram) and it was really 240hz i can feel the difference.

I wonder if there is bios settings on my laptop to limit the hz of the screen, because my laptop screen is 144hz.

Thank you for your time and ask if there is not enought informations !

capture0.png

capture1.png

Your laptop must not be able to support the external monitor at the 244 Hz. It is maxing it out at 144 Hz pretty common for laptops!

4 minutes ago, cyberpenguin44 said:

Your laptop must not be able to support the external monitor at the 244 Hz. It is maxing it out at 144 Hz pretty common for laptops!

Is there a way to verify this ?

16 minutes ago, MewxitonART said:

Is there a way to verify this ?

You are limited by Integrated GPU, in your screenshot you can see that it's connected to Intel Graphics. This means your display has no direct connection to RTX GPU and would get additional lag when playing games from video memory copy from iGPU to dGPU.

If your laptop screen is 144hz I doubt it will support higher on an external monitor. 

1 minute ago, Likwid said:

You are limited by Integrated GPU, in your screenshot you can see that it's connected to Intel Graphics. This means your display has no direct connection to RTX GPU and would get additional lag when playing games from video memory copy from iGPU to dGPU.

Yes, i know that's why i switch to the thunderbolt to display port to connect to the gpu like the second screen and it show 240hz but like i say before it's not really 240hz

8 minutes ago, dysorder said:

If your laptop screen is 144hz I doubt it will support higher on an external monitor. 

I made a few research on this, and a lot of laptop can go on higher hz than their screen, maybe it's this. I'm gonna verify if i did all my bios update

1 minute ago, MewxitonART said:

I made a few research on this, and a lot of laptop can go on higher hz than their screen, maybe it's this. I'm gonna verify if i did all my bios update

You might need a stronger power output as well as make sure your drivers are up-to-date but i think you will remain limited with this current laptop due to the spec

24 minutes ago, cyberpenguin44 said:

You might need a stronger power output as well as make sure your drivers are up-to-date but i think you will remain limited with this current laptop due to the spec

So i check if all my drivers / bios were up-to-date and yes.
It may be the spec of my laptop that are locking the screen but the fact that it show in the windows pannel and nvidia graphic pannel that the screen is at 240hz is weird.