Questions for custom keyboard

wxkin
Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,
1 hour ago, wxkin said:

Hi, I am looking to build my own keyboard, it will be my first and I am excited for it (it will be for my birthday). I just got a few question that I am confused about.

1. How much do I need to build for a custom keyboard? Is 100-300 USD good enough? If it's going to be very expensive I will just buy a pre-built one.

2. What tools and parts do I need to build a custom keyboard?

3. What's a good and trusty website to buy the parts from? Is amazon going to have everything?

I want it to be wireless. I want to have a number pad (I think I found one that you can buy separately. can you build this one as well or just buy it built?).

Custom keyboard is kind of misleading since there very different levels.

High-200s is like the minimum cost if you want the full experience of buying a chassis, plate, PCB, switches, lube, lubing station and tools, springs, and keycaps.

THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE IS HOT-SWAPPABLE SWITCHES.

Realistically most people start off with a very good pre-built like Keychron and do small things like trying out new switches or buying new keycaps. Maybe they buying a lubing kit after some time.

Higher level people who like the hobby may buy a cheaper board like Redragon and add foam dampening, replace stabilizers, lube more things, etc.

If you want perfect pre-builts, then yeah, just buy a Keychron or NuPhy board. There are other brands, but these are the top 2 I like to recommend.

Hi, I am looking to build my own keyboard, it will be my first and I am excited for it (it will be for my birthday). I just got a few question that I am confused about.

1. How much do I need to build for a custom keyboard? Is 100-300 USD good enough? If it's going to be very expensive I will just buy a pre-built one.

3. What's a good and trusty website to buy the parts from? Is amazon going to have everything?

I want it to be wireless. I want to have a number pad (I think I found one that you can buy separately. can you build this one as well or just buy it built?).

4 minutes ago, wxkin said:

1. How much do I need to build for a custom keyboard? Is 100-300 good enough? If it's going to be very expensive I will just buy a pre-built one.

you know you can order a custom keyboard

1 minute ago, rwdfsawe said:

you know you can order a custom keyboard

Where can I order one?

Just now, wxkin said:

Where can I order one?

that i don't know,it depends a lot from country to country,searxh on google and maybe look for reddit and youtube videos.

1 minute ago, rwdfsawe said:

that i don't know,it depends a lot from country to country,searxh on google and maybe look for reddit and youtube videos.

Okay, thank you.

1 hour ago, wxkin said:

High-200s is like the minimum cost if you want the full experience of buying a chassis, plate, PCB, switches, lube, lubing station and tools, springs, and keycaps.

Realistically most people start off with a very good pre-built like Keychron and do small things like trying out new switches or buying new keycaps. Maybe they buying a lubing kit after some time.

Higher level people who like the hobby may buy a cheaper board like Redragon and add foam dampening, replace stabilizers, lube more things, etc.

If you want perfect pre-builts, then yeah, just buy a Keychron or NuPhy board. There are other brands, but these are the top 2 I like to recommend.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

8 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Thank you! I will research more about Keychron and NuPhy. I will buy one of those two and just swap out the keycaps to the one I am already looking at.

Just now, wxkin said:

Thank you! I will research more about Keychron and NuPhy. I will buy one of those two and just swap out the keycaps to the one I am already looking at.

I'm a big NuPhy fanboy. I have their Halo75 and LOVE it. They recently announced the Halo V2 series and I'm pretty jealous lol. They also have the Air series if you're more of a laptop/Apple keyboard person and enjoy low-travel.

I would avoid the NuPhy Gem80 though. Apparently lots of issues despite firmware fixes.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

3 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

I'm a big NuPhy fanboy. I have their Halo75 and LOVE it. They recently announced the Halo V2 series and I'm pretty jealous lol. They also have the Air series if you're more of a laptop/Apple keyboard person and enjoy low-travel.

I would avoid the NuPhy Gem80 though. Apparently lots of issues despite firmware fixes.

Halo 75 and the 96 look great and I might end up buying with one of those. Will still look at Keychron. Thank you again!

I got one from Ducky they have various model sizes and switch options. Wanted to get Mountain Everest keyboard but they don't ship to my country. Also WASD keyboard has online builder, shipping is insane though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |