Potentially damaged CPU contact potentially preventing POST

Hi chat!

Let's preface with my build specs

CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 

Motherboard: Asus Rog Zenith Extreme TR4 

RAM: G. Skill Trident Neo 3000MHz 32GB C16 (not on the QVL but not my main concern) 

PSU: EVGA SUPANOVA 1300 G2 

BIOS: 2601 (Most current) 

I've got a unique problem. I've been having startup issues with my pc ever since I got a new CPU. 

My current build is listed up above, and I've got another ram kit (G.Skill Ripjaws 2800MHz DDR4 32GB C16), unfortunately not on QVL either. However that's not my main concern, I believe there is a damaged or unstable contact pad on the middle section of the CPU, which I'll show. 

When I do power on, the DRAM error lights up, and the Q code cycles until it hits 00 and says detect memory. Switching to each recommended slot layout does nothing to change it. 

Just wondering if the cpu needs replacing or if it's just a ram issue. 

20240415_040817.jpg

20240414_235804.jpg

Dank memes can't melt my steel dreams

try with another stick, then either the CPU or the ram you will have to replace.

Looks like you already have your answer but did you try it with just one memory stick? 

21 hours ago, splashblox said:

try with another stick, then either the CPU or the ram you will have to replace.

Unfortunately no sticks out of the 8 I tried worked. It seems I've picked the absolute worst case components for this issue haha. 

21 hours ago, Demon Lord Bezos said:

Looks like you already have your answer but did you try it with just one memory stick? 

Unfortunately that doesn't work, no stick out of the 8 available managed to post. 

After checking the contact layout online, it's either vcore or ground I believe. 

i would scrape lightly on it with a small tweezer or needle.. to remove the corrosion. 

So I managed to tentatively fix it, I just wasn't torquing down the socket enough. Got new ram and had to swap the sticks around after the first time didn't work, but now it posts. 

Thanks everyone for the help!