HDMI over Ethernet or Direct HDMI?

mattxd92

I am torn between if I should go with an HDMI over ethernet connectors or just doing a straight HDMI run for connecting my computer to my new TV.

Essentially I want to know if anyone has had any experience with doing this and if:

• There is any notable latency
  • If some of the lower $$ ones can even output 4k since most I've seen only advertise 1080p and i wouldn't see how it couldn't unless its a limitation of the actual hdmi port on the extender.
  • if its been reliable

The run is not overly long and a normal 50' HDMI cable will work for this just barely but in the future if I were to move my PC, making a new ethernet cord is much less costly than buying a longer cable.

13 minutes ago, mattxd92 said:

I am torn between if I should go with an HDMI over ethernet connectors or just doing a straight HDMI run for connecting my computer to my new TV.

Essentially I want to know if anyone has had any experience with doing this and if:

• There is any notable latency
  • If some of the lower $$ ones can even output 4k since most I've seen only advertise 1080p and i wouldn't see how it couldn't unless its a limitation of the actual hdmi port on the extender.
  • if its been reliable

The run is not overly long and a normal 50' HDMI cable will work for this just barely but in the future if I were to move my PC, making a new ethernet cord is much less costly than buying a longer cable.

I'd always go with straight hdmi if possible. The converters are chip based, so any time you add computation there will be some latency, it may be low enough to not notice, but that is also why some have limitations such as 1080 only, they just don't have enough juice on the IC to encode/decode 4k.

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I'd always go with straight hdmi if possible. The converters are chip based, so any time you add computation there will be some latency, it may be low enough to not notice, but that is also why some have limitations such as 1080 only, they just don't have enough juice on the IC to encode/decode 4k.

That makes sense and while I'm sure there are some out there that can do it, not worth the cost 😄 HDMI it is thanks for the reply!