Freeze screen

lootfree

HI, need small help 🙂

Win10. GTX 1060, i7-4770, 8gb, 2ssd, 1hdd. 450w PSU.

One of my friend just change the CPU i3-4150 to i7-4770 and getting random freeze screens. I don't have time to test atm MemTest86, stress test etc to find the problem.

But in the windows logs, it is saying crash windows or low power supply.

Could be his PSU is too weak for the i7-4770?
Because if was the RAM problem, could have blue screen.

I wonder what I must to look if the PSU is too weak for that CPU?

I gone reinstall the windows and if still happen I will give my PSU to him for few days to see if the problem is still there after the reinstallation.
Or maybe the CPU is defect, after all is Secondhand. From many parts secondhand which I was order for years, maybe it is the time finally got scamaz 😄

9 minutes ago, lootfree said:

HI, need small help 🙂

Win10. GTX 1060, i7-4770, 8gb, 2ssd, 1hdd. 450w PSU.

One of my friend just change the CPU i3-4150 to i7-4770 and getting random freeze screens. I don't have time to test atm MemTest86, stress test etc to find the problem.

But in the windows logs, it is saying crash windows or low power supply.

Could be his PSU is too weak for the i7-4770?
Because if was the RAM problem, could have blue screen.

I wonder what I must to look if the PSU is too weak for that CPU?

I gone reinstall the windows and if still happen I will give my PSU to him for few days to see if the problem is still there after the reinstallation.
Or maybe the CPU is defect, after all is Secondhand. From many parts secondhand which I was order for years, maybe it is the time finally got scamaz 😄

Did you clear CMOS before installing the new CPU? Also while resetting CMOS (you can take out CMOS battery), then reseat ram in slot A2 B2 and GPU as well. PSU should be enough. I would guess it something else. Might also want to remove all drives apart from boot drive. Could be the old HDD finally dying or an SSD acting up. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

22 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Did you clear CMOS before installing the new CPU? Also while resetting CMOS (you can take out CMOS battery), then reseat ram in slot A2 B2 and GPU as well. PSU should be enough. I would guess it something else. Might also want to remove all drives apart from boot drive. Could be the old HDD finally dying or an SSD acting up. 

I took out the battery after the first crash. But I did not reset CMOS. I will do next time.

I will unplug every part: ssd, hdd, ram, gpu etc before reset the CMOS.

Hoping that is the problem. 🙂

Since you're seeing power issues double check the 4 wire CPU feed to the motherboard. The TDP of the i7 is 84W compared to the TDP of the i3 at 54W.

Your PSU should be fine if it is what it says and is working properly.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

8 minutes ago, lootfree said:

I took out the battery after the first crash. But I did not reset CMOS. I will do next time.

I will unplug every part: ssd, hdd, ram, gpu etc before reset the CMOS.

Hoping that is the problem. 🙂

When you remove CMOS battery for a little time, you'll clear cmos

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

4 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

When you remove CMOS battery for a little time, you'll clear cmos

The battery is clearning the bios setting and cmos together? I dont need to make connection between two pins on MB?

3 minutes ago, lootfree said:

The battery is clearning the bios setting and cmos together? I dont need to make connection between two pins on MB?

Nope its the same thing. Just leave it out when checking the other stuff. Usually its enough to leave out for a couple of minutes. Also if you take out the battery you can't short the two pins

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Nope its the same thing. Just leave it out when checking the other stuff. Usually its enough to leave out for a couple of minutes. Also if you take out the battery you can't short the two pins

Yes, ofc will make a connection and then will remove the battery.

I was remove the battery for 10-20sec I did not wait 1min +++. Good to know!

Tomorrow will go to check it.

So I did CMOS clear, but I still got a freeze screen.

After that I chose to reinstall the windows.

And as you said I got new error... HDD...
But something else I noticed, his intel stock cooler is omega shitty, doing 2200APM but without noise. The CPU at stress test reach 99C.
With HDTune on quick mode, the HDD did 50% very slow scanning and after the 50% start to scanning fast.
With HDD Reg SSDs was fine.

But still can't understand, why under i3 that HDD did not make such errors, but with that i7 CPU doing such issues.

Unplug his HDD and now we gone to see if will gone crash again without it.

I make him to order new cooler, we chose Arctic Freezer 7X, on pretty cheap price ngl. (convert to $17).

here few screenshots for the info

IMG_20240412_132157b.jpg

IMG_20240412_132222b.jpg

IMG_20240412_132215.jpg

IMG_20240412_133828.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Short update:

That critical error is happening when I press Power button to shutdown the pc.
So this mean the problem is not from the PSU.

With the new cooler (arctic freezer 7x) the temp jump to 60c which is awesome, pretty good cooler for 17$.
I make him to buy secondhand ram, now he have 16GB.

After totally random download of Kingston health checker program, just show me the main SSD(OS) have a available update for firmware.

The issue could coming from that or maybe not. Because when he was using i3 never had a single problem. idk how exactly is working but i7 maybe pushing the ssd to work more faster so...

After the update he did not have a freeze screen, but he still did not reset the pc. Too lazy to remove to check out if gone happen again.

I'll try next time when I visit him and then I'll try to confirm if the issue is gone.

image.png.49b26f8cca9aa6c25f3b7c94862f1bbc.png