Onboard LAN No Longer Working on MSI X570 Unify

asdfasdfe
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

If you cleared the CMOS and no operating system (try a Linux live install) sees the adapter then its likely just dead. USB3 Gigabit adapters are relatively cheap, or even internal PCIe models.

When this issue started, I was running Windows 10. Upon updating to a newer version of Windows 10, I was no longer able to connect to my network. Device Manager no longer recognized my onboard LAN or my onboard Wi-Fi. If I were to try to connect to a network in Windows, nothing happens and it's as if I don't have a network interface at all. This seemed like a driver issue, but after trying driver installs for both, neither fixed the issue. When updating my onboard Realtek LAN driver, I got an error saying that my network card could not be found. In Device Manager, I've tried showing hidden devices, uninstalling and disabling any network adapters that were listed (None of which were my onboard LAN or Wi-Fi). I've also tried updating my BIOS to the most recent version, clearing CMOS, and I even completely wiped both my SSDs and installed Windows 11. It is currently up to date but I still am unable to get my onboard LAN to be recognized by my PC. I have also tried using sfc /scannow and dism to check for and repair corrupted files. There was a brief period of time where I was able to regain access to my network after disabling some of the network adapters that VMWare installs, but I eventually lost access again and have not gotten it back.

In BIOS, my onboard LAN driver is enabled. On my motherboard's rear I/O, I have link and activity lights on the Ethernet port when the cable is plugged in. I ordered an Intel i226-V, and it cannot be found in device manager either. On this device, I only get a link light, but no activity lights. I've tried this device in both a PCIe x1 and x16 slot. I have tried to install multiple drivers from Intel for this device, but all installations fail and I get an error saying that no Intel network device could be found.

I have also verified that the cable I am using works, and my router seems to be working correctly. The only way I have been able to get access to my network is via a USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet adapter, limiting my speeds to 100Mbps. As a temporary fix, I am going to purchase an adapter that allows me to get higher speeds.

Because the device does not work on a clean install of Windows or a BIOS with default settings, I believe this may be a hardware issu e but I am confused on how this could happen after a Windows update. If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it and I'd like to avoid buying a new motherboard if possible. I have attached an image of my Network adapters in Device Manager in case it may help identify the issue. Show hidden adapters is on.

PC Specifications:

AMD Ryzen R5 5600X

16GB G.Skill Trident Z @3200MHz

MSI X570 Unify (Onboard Realtek LAN)

EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Seagate Firecuda 520 500GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Corsair RM850x - 850W PSU

Windows 10 (when Issue started) / Windows 11 (currently)

Intel i226-V NIC

image.png.a63d63dda8a8232c826d7d275f65003d.png

If you cleared the CMOS and no operating system (try a Linux live install) sees the adapter then its likely just dead. USB3 Gigabit adapters are relatively cheap, or even internal PCIe models.

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

After making this post, I actually remembered I do have an extra USB to Ethernet adapter, and it is able to get Gigabit speeds. This essentially fixes the issue, but if anyone has any ideas on what could have happened here, I'm really curious.

At some point, I'm going to put Ubuntu on a USB and boot from it to see if I have any luck there. I'll come back to this thread if anything happens in case others run into the same issue with this board.