Just recently extracted my hard drive (HDD) from my old laptop and attached it to my desktop I want to play my favorite retro game Flight Simulator X which is saved on the hard drive. But, it's causing a whole lot of problems because you have to install it off a CD which has the physical copy of the game. Problem is this only worked because my laptop had a optical drive, but obviously, my pc doesn't. I have tried to copy and transfer the files over locally but won't let me download the game. It's like doing some stupid check to make sure I'm booting the setup off the CD and it's so frustrating. 

Summary: I have the CD disc, I have the files, I just can't install/access it.

1 hour ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Probably an anti-piracy measure

It could be but I am not pirating it. I have the original CD copy which my uncle bought for me and gifted to me on my birthday. I even have the activation code at my disposal. Can you think of anyway I could install though?

4 minutes ago, Dixel said:

It could be but I am not pirating it. I have the original CD copy which my uncle bought for me and gifted to me on my birthday. I even have the activation code at my disposal. Can you think of anyway I could install though?

No sorry I meant as in the disk needs to be present to open the games, just like a console. Probably no way other than just buying a disk drive for your pc.

1 hour ago, Blasty Blosty said:

No sorry I meant as in the disk needs to be present to open the games, just like a console. Probably no way other than just buying a disk drive for your pc.

I'll try my best to get past this but if it does need the physical disk present then I won't bother.

18 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I'll try my best to get past this but if it does need the physical disk present then I won't bother.

Get an external DVD drive. You need to have the physical disk readable by the software in order to run it. It's anti-piracy.

16 hours ago, Naijin said:

Get an external DVD drive. You need to have the physical disk readable by the software in order to run it. It's anti-piracy.

I don't think that's possible for me to do.

8 hours ago, Dixel said:

I don't think that's possible for me to do.

An external DVD drive can be plugged in with USB, it's not expensive either so should always be an option. We can't recommend or help with piracy here so if you want to play a game that requires a disc to be present, getting a DVD drive, be it built in or external (USB etc) is the only way.

I will look into that, thank you, please don't think I'm pirating, just trying to play a old game that was on my old piece of hardware.