45 watt adapter for a 65 watt all in one?

hi guys.
I can't find a clear answer to this on google so I hope it's appropriate here.
I've got a HP all in one that takes a barrel jack for power. looking up its model number it says it needs 65 watts. I can't find the original power adapter but there's a 45 watt adapter in the house for a HP laptop. I'm no electrical engineer, i just want to ask what would happen, would it not power on because the wattage is lower than it needs? or would it operate sort of undervolted? if it tries to draw 65w through the 45w adapter will it overload and damage itself?

Just now, guaconnaise said:

would it not power on because the wattage is lower than it needs?

Most likely.

12 minutes ago, guaconnaise said:

hi guys.
I've got a HP all in one that takes a barrel jack for power. looking up its model number it says it needs 65 watts. I can't find the original power adapter but there's a 45 watt adapter in the house for a HP laptop. I'm no electrical engineer, i just want to ask what would happen, would it not power on because the wattage is lower than it needs? or would it operate sort of undervolted? if it tries to draw 65w through the 45w adapter will it overload and damage itself?

It might work, until the system needs to draw 65 watts. Not sure if the 65 watts is the max wattage it'll require, or if that's the minimum, but I think that it could potentially cause instability when you put a heavier load on it. Similar to a normal computer with too small of a power supply, it might be fine at idle, as the computer draws less power then, but if you run a demanding game or benchmark tool, it's going to suck more power that the PSU can't supply, and it'll likely crash

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

Zero electronic devices are guaranteed to work without the required juice. They may also sometimes work but start having odd issues that are virtually impossible to narrow down.

1 hour ago, guaconnaise said:

would it not power on because the wattage is lower than it needs? 

Yup, but that's also assuming the 45W PSU can provide the right voltage for the AIO, which isn't guaranteed.

Usually those AIO have an input rating on the back near the connector, just like how an external PSU will have it on its sticker with its output range. If it can't negotiate the right voltage, then it'll be a problem, on top of if there's not enough amperage at that voltage to get sufficient wattage.

Will it damage the device trying? Probably not, but I'd find the input voltage range for the AIO first.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 hour ago, guaconnaise said:

hi guys.

While it might power on, as soon as it uses more than 45W it will just die as the overcurrent protection of the power brick trips.
It will likely not be physically damaged, but software corruption is a possible consequence.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!