Powerful Versatile Workstation on Linux

Budget (including currency): Under $2000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

I do a lot of different creative things such as 3D modeling/CAD, Music production, Video/Photo editing, Web development, Streaming, Virtualization, Gaming, and who knows what else.

I have a 43" 4K as my main monitor, and I'm planning to run another two 27" 1080p monitors (total of 3 monitors.) I'm guessing some games will struggle with 4K, but I'm okay with doing a 1080 window or something if I need to.

I will be dual-booting this with Linux and Windows.

Other details

I have a list of parts on pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6TK7Jy There is a link to the case I'm planning to order on there as well.

I've chosen the 7900X3D because I do a lot of heavy multi-tasking and also virtual machines. It may be more cores than I really need but I'd rather over-spec.

The GPU I got a good deal on (hoping it wasn't a fake listing on Amazon. We'll see when it gets here.)

For the motherboard, the Gigabyte X670 Gaming looked like a fine choice. But I'm not too knowledgeable about motherboards. Are there any particular features that this might be missing for virtualization? Or Linux compatibility?

Other than that, I'd just like some feedback on if the system seems unbalanced in any way. Do I need a bigger PS? Is there a major bottleneck anywhere?

I plan to run this rig for a LONG time. I've had my current computer (Asus Laptop) since about 2015. Just recently got my first job in tech and making enough money for this upgrade. The straw that broke the camel's back is that I just got the 43" 4K monitor, and it works great for my work laptop, but my personal laptop can only drive it at 30fps. Not fun.

Also, side-note: I looked far and wide for a rack-mount case with all of the I/O in the front (including the motherboard.) They exist, but none of the ones I can find will fit this GPU. If anyone knows where I could find that, please point me to it. If not, I might try to modify this case and flip the rack ears to the back and the power button too.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

PSU seems a tad overkill, wouldn't go with 7900X3D and would try to get DDR5-6000 CL30 rather than CL48.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2sR4QP

7950x3d + 32gb 6400c32 (eff 6000c32)

just straight up overhaul, yes it does cost about 130$ more but its an all around upgrade

7900x3d -> 7950x3d so you get 4 more cores 2 of which are 3d cache cores, dunno why the 7900x3d is so overpriced (normal 7900 is like 80$ cheaper) and the 7950x3d costs 40$ less than a 7950x

cut cost on the board though you do get 3 more usb ports (18 -> 21) so i guess this is also an upgrade even if its basically meaningless cause who on earth would need 18 usb ports let alone 21 of em =p

cooler is cheaper and should outperform the d12l since its already going toe to toe with the d15

doubled the ram capacity and guaranteed 10000+ capable hynix a die since its a 6400c32 bin, though after you enable xmp you do want to set ram freq to 6000 just so you dont have to tune since the chips are capable of 6200-6400 1:1 but needs some tuning whilst 6000 doesnt need any tuning so more convenient, the high freq capability will be useful for future cpus so you dont have to replace rams unless 64gb isnt enough anymore

quadrupled ssd capacity to 2tb whilst also being a ton faster and a high end dram tlc gen4 drive instead of whatever joke of an overpriced low end (slow) dramless qlc the p3 plus is

psu is abit cheaper but retains the 10 year warranty

1 hour ago, Steven Schaefer said:

Other than that, I'd just like some feedback on if the system seems unbalanced in any way. Do I need a bigger PS? Is there a major bottleneck anywhere?

An Intel CPU will offer much better performance in most of the programs listed.

If you stick with AMD consider the 7950X. Most of the programs listed will have better performance.

The CPU cooler is suboptimal which is no surprise given the case. Consider using a 360 AIO.

Consider an ATX 3.0 compliant PSU. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TnCZxr/adata-xpg-core-reactor-ii-1000-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-corereactorii1000g-bkcus is a good choice. If you want Seasonic consider https://pcpartpicker.com/product/W2zXsY/seasonic-focus-gx-1000-atx-30-1000-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-atx3-focus-gx-1000.

Memory timings are awful. Consider https://pcpartpicker.com/product/H9CZxr/teamgroup-t-create-expert-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr5-6000-cl30-memory-ctced532g6000hc30dc01 instead.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-13700F 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($344.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($33.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: *MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($159.00 @ MSI) 
Memory: *G.Skill Flare X5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($130.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: *MSI MAG A850GL PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.00 @ MSI) 
Total: $956.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-08 01:29 EDT-0400

36 minutes ago, Steven Schaefer said:

Thanks for all the feedback! I've made an updated parts list based on some of the suggestions here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JC6hwg

Noctua suggests the cooler can only provide "medium turbo/overclocking" headroom. This suggests the CPU is likely to throttle under heavy loads.

The case can accommodate a 360 AIO. Consider using one.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.