Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (SM-T210R)

Hello,

I acquired an old samsung tablet recently and am hoping to use it for either of the below purposes and am trying to find some (really any) custom ROM to install on it thats likely going to give me at least some basic level of security updates. Right now i think the device only has partially working HTTPS certificates.

Purpose 1: As a "conference room tablet" type display thats wall mounted and on permanent wired power. I have a couple web based projects that would work pretty well in a setup like this

Purpose 2: Developer testing device. A few apps I have built have some reported bugs on tablets. Although im skeptical about being able to get a new enough android version on this tablet to make it worth it.

I have installed LineageOS on a Pixel phone before and have been searching around for custom ROMS, but lineage's build is unmaintained and everything else i find is unofficial. Honestly id be down to settle for installing Google apps and whatever else, i just want an OS that still ships updates

Is such a thing likely to be possible? im hoping theres a very minimal/AOSP based custom ROM specifically for things like Purpose 1 that I just dont know to look for or something

We *just* had a thread about this yesterday, but with a SGTab2

Same story. Lineage OS dropped support ages ago because it only has 1GB of RAM. Thus I'll give the same advice:
I'd give a hard rec for a last gen Fire 10 tablet. They regularly go on sale for 70$ and you can use FireToolbox to remove most to all of the Amazon garbage. They become great little single purpose devices. 

ETA: this isn't to admonish you, just remarking on the coincidence

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 hour ago, OddOod said:

Lineage OS dropped support ages ago because it only has 1GB of RAM.

ohhh that makes sense. i guess that lends more credibility to the idea that maybe theres a purpose-built android fork out there thats more limited in functionality and thus resource use.

I know linux distros have similar "lightweight"/"runs only in ram" type distros. Are there similar "lightweight" android distros that go farther than just "remove googles spyware"?

On 4/5/2024 at 10:26 AM, computerace said:

ohhh that makes sense. i guess that lends more credibility to the idea that maybe theres a purpose-built android fork out there thats more limited in functionality and thus resource use.

I know linux distros have similar "lightweight"/"runs only in ram" type distros. Are there similar "lightweight" android distros that go farther than just "remove googles spyware"?

No clue
This is just from a quick google
https://itsfoss.com/open-source-alternatives-android/

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

PostmarketOS seems somewhat promising, thanks!

I also wonder if some kind of cheap android TV device that has updates would work instead?

or i guess a raspi and a screen for it could be better