Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 crashing GPU Driver + question

TryRestart
Posted (edited)

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to play KH 2 FM but it just always crashes. This has not happened on my RTX 3070 and now constantly crashes on my RX 7900 XTX - google only found more people complaining unable to find a proper fix.

I have noticed that sometimes in League or Valo discord also crashes, which happened in OW 2 too but less frequent.

Heard that these cards have some kind of problem with some DX12 games, people been complaining about those in WoW too when DX12 is enabled...

With the RTX 3070 i got through all 4 games with no problem, but this just crashes after minutes or in cutscenes randomly.

Is there anyone that could try to play through any of KH games with an RX 6000 series card, as i would not like to pay that extra extra for the 4080 super and downgrade to a 6900 XT or 6950 XT if it works for those cards.

Oh if anyone with 7000 series cards sees this please also tell me if this happens to you (if possible)

Thank you for reading and maybe helping me!

Edited by TryRestart
added sentence

30 minutes ago, TryRestart said:

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to play KH 2 FM but it just always crashes. This has not happened on my RTX 3070 and now constantly crashes on my RX 7900 XTX - google only found more people complaining unable to find a proper fix.

I have noticed that sometimes in League or Valo discord also crashes, which happened in OW 2 too but less frequent.

Heard that these cards have some kind of problem with some DX12 games, people been complaining about those in WoW too when DX12 is enabled...

With the RTX 3070 i got through all 4 games with no problem, but this just crashes after minutes or in cutscenes randomly.

Is there anyone that could try to play through any of KH games with an RX 6000 series card, as i would not like to pay that extra extra for the 4080 super and downgrade to a 6900 XT or 6950 XT if it works for those cards.

Oh if anyone with 7000 series cards sees this please also tell me if this happens to you (if possible)

Thank you for reading and maybe helping me!

Try limiting frames to 60fps and limiting clock speed to about 85% of the max and try it again?

It may or may not work, but Im curious if this will fix it

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Just now, TatamiMatt said:

Try limiting frames to 60fps and limiting clock speed to about 85% of the max and try it again?

It may or may not work, but Im curious if this will fix it

I've tried that already, sadly didn't help. Disabling and Enabling multiple options made it a little bit mor stable but it still crashes after mininum 2 minutes and maximum 15 minutes. Putting everything (CPU, RAM,....) to stock settings didn't help either

4 minutes ago, TryRestart said:

I've tried that already, sadly didn't help. Disabling and Enabling multiple options made it a little bit mor stable but it still crashes after mininum 2 minutes and maximum 15 minutes. Putting everything (CPU, RAM,....) to stock settings didn't help either

Ah damn, thought it mightve been a more universal fix but havent tried it elsewhere, but i know its a specific known issue in helldivers if the card hits 100% util, its usually a very imminent crash thereafter

Have you turned Vsync off?

Sorry Kingdom hearts own version(🤔?) called "refresh rate"

System specs:

1 hour ago, TatamiMatt said:

Ah damn, thought it mightve been a more universal fix but havent tried it elsewhere, but i know its a specific known issue in helldivers if the card hits 100% util, its usually a very imminent crash thereafter

Have you turned Vsync off?

Sorry Kingdom hearts own version(🤔?) called "refresh rate"

Yeah on and off both result in the same crash. Changing resolution didn't help, using keyboard and mouse instead of controller also didn't... Changing drivers to multiple past versions, using custom drivers... Nothing really helped. 

44 minutes ago, TryRestart said:

Yeah on and off both result in the same crash. Changing resolution didn't help, using keyboard and mouse instead of controller also didn't... Changing drivers to multiple past versions, using custom drivers... Nothing really helped. 

Damn, does it run in DX11 or are you able to make it show how? Im not sure, havent played KH2 since PS2

Edit: Oh actually im a liar, played a little of 3 on the xbone but didnt have the same ring to it imo, but point still stands, havent played it on PC before

System specs:

37 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Damn, does it run in DX11 or are you able to make it show how? Im not sure, havent played KH2 since PS2

Edit: Oh actually im a liar, played a little of 3 on the xbone but didnt have the same ring to it imo, but point still stands, havent played it on PC before

Only runs in DX12, there is no option or known trick to get it to use DX11 as far as i've been looking for.

I mean i have finished the game 100% already but i wanna continue my LvL 1 run that i've never finished

On 4/5/2024 at 8:39 AM, TryRestart said:

Only runs in DX12, there is no option or known trick to get it to use DX11 as far as i've been looking for.

I mean i have finished the game 100% already but i wanna continue my LvL 1 run that i've never finished

Pretty sure you just bump it by replying to the post

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

16 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

Pretty sure you just bump it by replying to the post

Yeah i think so too

Sorry, forgot this post existed, sieve for a brain.

Yeah best bet now would probably to try contacting AMD about it and they might be able to patch it soonish depending on popularity of the title etc. It will at least get them notified of the issue and they might be able to provide some further insight into their own hardware that might help you beyond consumer knowledge

System specs:

5 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Sorry, forgot this post existed, sieve for a brain.

Yeah best bet now would probably to try contacting AMD about it and they might be able to patch it soonish depending on popularity of the title etc. It will at least get them notified of the issue and they might be able to provide some further insight into their own hardware that might help you beyond consumer knowledge

I will try to do that too yeah, also gonna try the 1070 ti i borrowed and see if there is a difference... This makes me kinda sad as some posts from a year+ ago are still getting posted on.

So i tried KH 2.5, Birth by Sleep and Re:CoM with the GTX 1070 ti now, 1,5 hours in 2.5 no crashes going through everything that constantly crashed on the 7900 XTX, BBS also 0 crashes for about 20 minutes of gameplay, Re:CoM got through the tutorial with no crashes and played for 15 minutes that would otherwise crash.

Well i guess it really is GPU driver then, as i wouldve crashed atleast 7 times in 2.5 alone with it...

Hurts to know