Which 4070S card to buy, Gigabyte or Asus.

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a 4070S but I'm not sure which brand to go for, currently in my place the Asus GeForce RTX 4070 Super 12GB GDDR6X OC Edition is at 665€ and the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Super 12GB GDDR6X Gaming OC is at 688€. 

Is there any major difference in quality that I should choose one over the other?

7 minutes ago, Jim07 said:

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a 4070S but I'm not sure which brand to go for, currently in my place the Asus GeForce RTX 4070 Super 12GB GDDR6X OC Edition is at 665€ and the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Super 12GB GDDR6X Gaming OC is at 688€. 

Is there any major difference in quality that I should choose one over the other?

If you're in the US, I'd recommend just buying the FE version from Best Buy. Those are still in stock and based on RTX 3000 series, hold their value better than AIB cards.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12GB GDDR6X Graphics Card Titanium/Black 900-1G141-2534-000 - Best Buy

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

If you're in the US

Unfortunately I live in the EU

1 minute ago, Jim07 said:

Unfortunately I live in the EU

If we're taking about the Asus Dual vs Gigabyte triple fan cards, they're actually both the same-ish length. Technically the triple fan model is smaller by a few millimeters too.

I opted for Gigabyte this generation and I've been happy with it. The major difference being that those triple smaller fans will be louder than two larger fans, but I'd still probably opt for the Gigabyte version. Could possible run at a lower RPM and be quieter anyways even with another fan spinning.

6 minutes ago, Agall said:

I opted for Gigabyte this generation and I've been happy with it.

Out of curiosity what 12vhpwr adaptor are you using? Or does your PSU have it's own?

3 minutes ago, Jim07 said:

Out of curiosity what 12vhpwr adaptor are you using? Or does your PSU have it's own?

My Seasonic Vertex has native 12VHPWR. In general, I'd stick to 1st party solutions. The internally adapted 2x8pin to 12VHPWR cables from 1st parties are the safest bet. I've had issues with native 12VHPWR, sensing issues while idle and POST issues, nothing that impacts actual gameplay. Where I generally recommend the latter option. 

I experimented with 12VHPWR when it came out, using basically every solution including two native 12VHPWR PSUs. I should really just use Seasonic's 2x8pin to 12VHPWR cable, but I opted to stick to 1:1 12VHPWR instead even with the issues it has.

14 minutes ago, Agall said:

The internally adapted 2x8pin to 12VHPWR cables from 1st parties are the safest bet

Forgive my ignorance but with 1st party you mean the one included in the box?

2 hours ago, Jim07 said:

Forgive my ignorance but with 1st party you mean the one included in the box?

Yes, but also including the ones sold by the company as 1st party adapted cables. In newer PSU models, they seem to come with it, otherwise its a $30-$35 cable (cables are really cheap to make, most of the cost is packaging/shipping).

In the case of Corsair's, just ensuring the existing PSU is a type-4. Seasonic's has a compatibility list. I had one of the first batch Cablemod cables which arrived defective that was for my RM1000x. It was later confirmed that the model I have supports the 1st party type-4 cable which I still might pick up at some point for it just in case.

My Seasonic Vertex's original 1:1 12VHPWR cable had its retainers fall off, Seasonic sent a 2x8pin to 12VHPWR internally adapted cable to replace it initially since the 1:1 cables weren't in stock, later shipping that one as well for free.

Overall, I've had some strange problems with 12VHPWR, but not the ones you normally hear. Even without retainers on both ends of the cable, I never had it get too hot or melt. I have my own negative opinions about that issue, usually involving an accusation of inferior grip strength, which mind you, is a notable metric for overall health.

8 minutes ago, Agall said:

Yes, but also including the ones sold by the company as 1st party adapted cables. In newer PSU models, they seem to come with it, otherwise its a $30-$35 cable (cables are really cheap to make, most of the cost is packaging/shipping).

In the case of Corsair's, just ensuring the existing PSU is a type-4. Seasonic's has a compatibility list. I had one of the first batch Cablemod cables which arrived defective that was for my RM1000x. It was later confirmed that the model I have supports the 1st party type-4 cable which I still might pick up at some point for it just in case.

My Seasonic Vertex's original 1:1 12VHPWR cable had its retainers fall off, Seasonic sent a 2x8pin to 12VHPWR internally adapted cable to replace it initially since the 1:1 cables weren't in stock, later shipping that one as well for free.

Overall, I've had some strange problems with 12VHPWR, but not the ones you normally hear. Even without retainers on both ends of the cable, I never had it get too hot or melt. I have my own negative opinions about that issue, usually involving an accusation of inferior grip strength, which mind you, is a notable metric for overall health.

Oh okay I have a better understanding for it now thank you, I'm gonna go for the Asus card just cause it's slightly cheaper but my PSU doesnt have native 12VHPWR cables so I will trust the card included one for now. 

15 minutes ago, Jim07 said:

Oh okay I have a better understanding for it now thank you, I'm gonna go for the Asus card just cause it's slightly cheaper but my PSU doesnt have native 12VHPWR cables so I will trust the card included one for now. 

If its a new in box card, it should have an adapter included. That'll be 2x8pin to 12VHPWR for the 4070S.

That one is at least acceptable, you can use a single cable for it. Where it gets dumb is with the RTX 4090's 4x8pin to 12VHPWR that creates a ridiculous tentacle monster of a cable. Just make sure you seat the connector fully into the card 🙂 

Just now, Agall said:

If its a new in box card, it should have an adapter included. That'll be 2x8pin to 12VHPWR for the 4070S.

That one is at least acceptable, you can use a single cable for it. Where it gets dumb is with the RTX 4090's 4x8pin to 12VHPWR that creates a ridiculous tentacle monster of a cable. Just make sure you seat the connector fully into the card 🙂 

I have to make an edit, at the point that I was writing my previous post the Asus card increased in price by 60€ which in result I rushed and ordered the Gigabyte one so I won't have any more increases. I'm guessing it's cause of the Taiwan earthquake incident but I didn't expect it to be this fast

If mounting vertically, get the Asus Dual.

The Gigabyte Gaming has a very large cutout at one end for air to pass directly through and upwards.

Edit: I see you already bought the Gigabyte card. Hopefully you did not intend to vertical mount. Anyway, enjoy the 145% max power limit. I know because I have the same model.

1 hour ago, Jim07 said:

I have to make an edit, at the point that I was writing my previous post the Asus card increased in price by 60€ which in result I rushed and ordered the Gigabyte one so I won't have any more increases. I'm guessing it's cause of the Taiwan earthquake incident but I didn't expect it to be this fast

Those prices fluctuate like crazy anyways, things go on and off sale. In the US, I'll see the same laptop go from $330 to its base $680 price all the time and back again.

59 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

If mounting vertically, get the Asus Dual.

The Gigabyte Gaming has a very large cutout at one end for air to pass directly through and upwards.

Edit: I see you already bought the Gigabyte card. Hopefully you did not intend to vertical mount. Anyway, enjoy the 145% max power limit. I know because I have the same model.

oh no I'm doing a classic horizontal mount, thank you tho!