PSU/12VHPWR Confusion

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
3 minutes ago, MattKier said:

Hello all. 

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU to the 4070ti super and for that I need a new PSU. 
I have no clue as to what I'm looking at because I keep getting confused by the 12vhpwr. 

From what I read 850w PSU's will only draw 300w from the 12vhpwr and a 1200w will draw full 600w. 
Is that true? Or did I misunderstand something? Either way, will the Corsair RM1000e V2 1000w PSU be sufficient for the 4070ti super with it's included 12vhpwr cable?

The RTX 4070Ti has a max power draw of 285w so it can't draw 600w.

You dont actually need the 12vhpwr connector as the 4070Ti comes with an adapter to fit older PSU's.-

Its a 12pin that goes into the GPU and 2x8pins that goes into normal PCIE power cables.

1000w is very overkill for the 4070Ti. I run a highly overclocked RTX 4080 on my RM750w without any issues.

image.thumb.jpeg.9f49f44b1449b6fee6a66ae73aa85bbc.jpeg

Hello all. 

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU to the 4070ti super and for that I need a new PSU. 
I have no clue as to what I'm looking at because I keep getting confused by the 12vhpwr. 

From what I read 850w PSU's will only draw 300w from the 12vhpwr and a 1200w will draw full 600w. 
Is that true? Or did I misunderstand something? Either way, will the Corsair RM1000e V2 1000w PSU be sufficient for the 4070ti super with it's included 12vhpwr cable?

3 minutes ago, MattKier said:

Hello all. 

The RTX 4070Ti has a max power draw of 285w so it can't draw 600w.

You dont actually need the 12vhpwr connector as the 4070Ti comes with an adapter to fit older PSU's.-

Its a 12pin that goes into the GPU and 2x8pins that goes into normal PCIE power cables.

1000w is very overkill for the 4070Ti. I run a highly overclocked RTX 4080 on my RM750w without any issues.

image.thumb.jpeg.9f49f44b1449b6fee6a66ae73aa85bbc.jpeg

13 minutes ago, MattKier said:

Hello all. 

An 850W PSU would be sufficent for a 4070ti super, but depending on your other components you might not even need that.

Also, you don't need the PSU to have a 12vhpwr adapter, as GPUs currently come with PCIe6+2 to 12vhpwr adapters.

If you CPU is a 5600 or similar I expect you could get away with a good 800W, maybe even a 750W.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

6 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

An 850W PSU would probably be sufficent for a 4070ti supe

285W card at peak so it doesn't matter if they have a 14900ks, a good 850W is fine. 

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

285W card at peak so it doesn't matter if they have a 14900ks, a good 850W is fine. 

fair point, message updated 🙂

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

11 minutes ago, MattKier said:

Hello all. 

A native 12VHPWR PSU should list the spec on the 12VHPWR connector. Most will do at least 450W if possible, getting 600W is something only necessary to require if you're going with an overclocked RTX 4090.

Corsair's internally adapted 12VHPWR have some of the least amount of issues. Native 12VHPWR can run into strange sense pin issues and have intermittent fan spiking, something I haven't seen with adapted connectors. Last time I talked to Corsair regarding 12VHPWR, they told me they had no intentions of making native 12VHPWR.

Yes, the Corsair RM1000e V2 1000W will be more than plenty for a 4070tiS. That PSU also looks like it comes with an internally adapted 12VHPWR cable, which you would otherwise have to buy separate.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

I don't know who I should reply to haha
You all say pretty much the same 😄
My apologies! 

But I truly appreciate y'all help! 
I figured the 1000w was a bit overkill so I will go for the Corsair RM850e V2 which also comes with an included 12vhpwr cable just in case. 

32 minutes ago, MattKier said:

I don't know who I should reply to haha
You all say pretty much the same 😄
My apologies! 

But I truly appreciate y'all help! 
I figured the 1000w was a bit overkill so I will go for the Corsair RM850e V2 which also comes with an included 12vhpwr cable just in case. 

Awesome! The RM850e is a very decent PSU 🙂

You can use the included 12vhpwr if you want, it will look a little bit cleaner.