Upgrading my card but not sure what to get

Hello this is my first time posting and I would like some advice. I am running a ryzen 5 3600 cpu and a nvidia 2070 super and I am looking to upgrade my gpu and I am not sure which one too get I have been looking between getting the Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X and the nvidia 4080 super which one do you all recommend thanks and have a great day

15 minutes ago, AstralViking said:

Hello this is my first time posting and I would like some advice. I am running a ryzen 5 3600 cpu and a nvidia 2070 super and I am looking to upgrade my gpu and I am not sure which one too get I have been looking between getting the Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X and the nvidia 4080 super which one do you all recommend thanks and have a great day

If you care about Ray-Tracing, get the Nvidia card. AMD fixed the FSRR quality, which will also improve the generator. It depends on the games you play; personally, I would go for the RTX 4080 Super. However, if you want the AMD card, you can get the Nitro+. Also, you may want to upgrade your CPU to a 5600X3D or 5700X3D and etc. 

i believe that would be a huge bottleneck, i would recommend upgrading both, 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mQTHrv

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card  ($599.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $908.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-31 15:31 EDT-0400

for about the same price as a 7900xtx, but you'd gain more performance

Thanks yeah I was going to upgrade my cpu also and i mainly play at 1080p but I am trying to go to 1440p or 4k gaming I really do not care about ray tracing just want something with good gaming and streaming performance so would that be the rtx 4080 or the rx 7900 xtx

1 minute ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

i believe that would be a huge bottleneck, i would recommend upgrading both, 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mQTHrv

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card  ($599.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $908.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-31 15:31 EDT-0400

for about the same price as a 7900xtx, but you'd gain more performance

I am working on upgrading my cpu also but I should get the 4070 super? Instead is it better then the 7900 xtx

3 minutes ago, AstralViking said:

I am working on upgrading my cpu also but I should get the 4070 super? Instead is it better then the 7900 xtx

Save money... just get the 5600X3D, 5700X3D, or even the 5800X3D and a 4080 Super or the 7900 XTX.

Also if it matters I am using a msi b450 tomahawk max motherboard and 32 gigs of ram

1 minute ago, BoomerL4D said:

Save money... just get the 5600X3D, 5700X3D, or even the 5800X3D and a 4080 Super or the 7900 XTX.

Yeah I am trying to save money also but I am not sure which gpu too get should I get the 4080 super the 4070 super or the Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X I know I am getting the either the 5700X3D or the 5800X3D

1 minute ago, AstralViking said:

Yeah I am trying to save money also but I am not sure which gpu too get should I get the 4080 super the 4070 super or the Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X I know I am getting the either the 5700X3D or the 5800X3D

Get the 5800X3D, consoles use 8 cores, so games should be well optimized for those and will be more future-proof. Maybe you can use the current cooler and undervolt; your mobo is nice and 32GB is plenty. I also would get the 4080 Super.

1 minute ago, BoomerL4D said:

Get the 5800X3D, consoles use 8 cores, so games should be well optimized for those and will be more future-proof. Maybe you can use the current cooler and undervolt; your mobo is nice and 32GB is plenty. I also would get the 4080 Super.

Alright thanks I will do that

47 minutes ago, BoomerL4D said:

So what your saying is the 4080 super is better then the 7900 xtx is this at stock or do I need to overclock either of them

I'd go with a 7900XT and 5700X3D. Sapphire Pulse is $700 still and will give you plenty of performance for 1440 and 4K. And for the price of a 4080 Super, you can get the 7900XT and a 5700X3D.

8 hours ago, AstralViking said:

...mainly play at 1080p but I am trying to go to 1440p or 4k gaming I really do not care about ray tracing just want something with good gaming and streaming performance...

First is to settle the CPU... since you are using a b450 motherboard, go straight to the 5800X3D. It performs better than the 5700X3D so do not half ass what is probably the last CPU upgrade you will ever get for the motherboard. It will ensure the least possible CPU bottleneck at 1080p and even has impact at higher resolutions if upgrading the graphics card to match

Second, not caring about raytracing means AMD GPUs are just as viable as Nvidia's. This will open up more cost effective options

Third, you mentioned streaming performance. Do you mean you are going to livestream your games? If so, encoding quality and the impact on performance should be a concern to you.

Are you streaming from the same computer that is running the game? If yes, you might want an Nvidia GPU because AMD's encoding solution is still quite a bit inferior. You want to avoid tapping on the CPU for x264 unless you have more than 8 cores (5800X3D only has 8) do not forget that the disk activity and stream broadcast are also going to be competing for CPU resources. The 4070 Super is the most cost effective Nvidia solution for 1440p ultra and 4k with upscaling.

If encoding and streaming from another device, get a 7900 GRE and overclock. It is cheaper than the 4070 Super and competes with the 4070 Ti and 4070 Ti Super at 1440p and 4k respectively (without needing any upscaling). For the price you are also getting 16GB of VRAM which makes a difference at 4k, and will be a better hedge for future games that are going to demand more VRAM as console specs improve. For 16GB of VRAM from Nvidia, you will have to pony up for the 4070 Ti Super or 4080

And as a last sanity check, please control your spending if you are still only playing at 1080p

26 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

First is to settle the CPU... since you are using a b450 motherboard, go straight to the 5800X3D. It performs better than the 5700X3D so do not half ass what is probably the last CPU upgrade you will ever get for the motherboard. It will ensure the least possible CPU bottleneck at 1080p and even has impact at higher resolutions if upgrading the graphics card to match

Second, not caring about raytracing means AMD GPUs are just as viable as Nvidia's. This will open up more cost effective options

Third, you mentioned streaming performance. Do you mean you are going to livestream your games? If so, encoding quality and the impact on performance should be a concern to you.

Are you streaming from the same computer that is running the game? If yes, you might want an Nvidia GPU because AMD's encoding solution is still quite a bit inferior. You want to avoid tapping on the CPU for x264 unless you have more than 8 cores (5800X3D only has 8) do not forget that the disk activity and stream broadcast are also going to be competing for CPU resources. The 4070 Super is the most cost effective Nvidia solution for 1440p ultra and 4k with upscaling.

If encoding and streaming from another device, get a 7900 GRE and overclock. It is cheaper than the 4070 Super and competes with the 4070 Ti and 4070 Ti Super at 1440p and 4k respectively (without needing any upscaling). For the price you are also getting 16GB of VRAM which makes a difference at 4k, and will be a better hedge for future games that are going to demand more VRAM as console specs improve. For 16GB of VRAM from Nvidia, you will have to pony up for the 4070 Ti Super or 4080

And as a last sanity check, please control your spending if you are still only playing at 1080p

Well… it performs better but it only performs like what? 2% faster? And it costs 75 bucks more.

Also is this forum in fucking comic sans?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 minutes ago, Failure 101 said:

Well… it performs better but it only performs like what? 2% faster? And it costs 75 bucks more.

Also is this forum in fucking comic sans?

Yes the 5700X3D is lower clocked but AMD has implemented limits to prevent it from competing with the 5800X3D. There are clock speed sensitive games that gain a not-insignificant improvement from higher clock speed

The font is just because its that day of the year

Alright thanks everyone for the advise I will look at those options. And has a last resort I used pc part picker to build a whole new pc

On 3/31/2024 at 8:33 PM, AstralViking said:

Thanks yeah I was going to upgrade my cpu also and i mainly play at 1080p but I am trying to go to 1440p or 4k gaming I really do not care about ray tracing just want something with good gaming and streaming performance so would that be the rtx 4080 or the rx 7900 xtx

the next gen cards are coming out 2nd half of 2024 for Nvidia and roughly afterwards the AMD next gen follows

So you got a couple of choices, 1) wait and save 2) buy now

Now I'm saving for a 4080 super because I fancy I might need the ray tracing eventually, 16gb is what consoles use (devs are **** and will code for consoles then port over to the PC) and at 1440p it will last a few years, but the 7900xtx is a touch faster in raster and lots cheaper.

Both cards are slower at 4k and in a few years might be unable to cope at high and ultra settings?  If you're going 4k then next year just get new everything for the future proofing.

I already have a 5800x but you should add one of those generation of Zens to your wish list

Alright I will think about it here are my two list I have for pc part picker https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AstralViking/saved/#view=qhP98d

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AstralViking/saved/#view=RkcNyc

Honestly after having my pc for so long I am not sure if it is even worth to upgrade I might be better off just building a whole new pc