PTM 7950 mounted vertically

cookie_machine
Go to solution Solved by Levent,

I got multiple machines, laptop and desktop with PTM7950. All of which is in that situation. Performance doesnt seem to degrade as much as thermal paste even when its applied on an IHS.

With this being a phase-change material, are there any issues with using this thermal solution in a typical build where the cpu is a vertical position? I've never used liquid metal, so I just wanted to make sure that this stuff isn't going to ooze downward after multiple thermal cycles. I've seen plenty of posts about GPUs and laptops, but I'm still curious what other user's experiences have been using this in a standard tower. Thanks.

Rereading what I posted, I want to reassure you that I know this isn't liquid metal. I was more referring to the viscous nature of liquid metal, but anyway.

7 minutes ago, cookie_machine said:

With this being a phase-change material, are there any issues with using this thermal solution in a typical build where the cpu is a vertical position? I've never used liquid metal, so I just wanted to make sure that this stuff isn't going to ooze downward after multiple thermal cycles. I've seen plenty of posts about GPUs and laptops, but I'm still curious what other user's experiences have been using this in a standard tower. Thanks.

It definitely works when the CPU / Motherboard is mounted vertical 🙂

If it didn't it would be quite terrible as 99% of all motherboards are vertical mounted.

I got multiple machines, laptop and desktop with PTM7950. All of which is in that situation. Performance doesnt seem to degrade as much as thermal paste even when its applied on an IHS.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

21 hours ago, Levent said:

Where do you buy it?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Just now, RevGAM said:

Where do you buy it?

I bought mine from the OG ebuy7 link they had in the video.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 minutes ago, Levent said:

I bought mine from the OG ebuy7 link they had in the video.

Please share. AFAIK, LTT's price is very competitive, but who knows?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

• 2 weeks later...

PTM7950, and other Phase Change Materials, are perfectly fine in vertical position. What tends to heppen is that it melts under load (around 45 Celcius) and then flows out to the edges of the IHS where it solidifies. It'll stay there until you pull the cooler off again, although you shouldn't need to for a long time.

One thing I will mention is that it's good to do a burn-in to get a good melt after you apply it. It can melt down to 0.038mm or 0.0015" in thickness. This means that if yoiu fully covered an IHS then 80% will flow out. It actually works really well if you undercut it with a ~3mm border around all 4 sides so that it is smaller than the IHS itself. Then you just peel the first plastric off, lay down on IHA and rub your finger on the top plastic film to press it onto the IHA and make sure it will stick in place, then either use tape or tweezers to peel top film, and install cooler.

Places you can find PTM7950 include Moddiy, Aliexpress, Ebuy7, and Ebay

7 hours ago, Snarks Domain said:

PTM7950, and other Phase Change Materials, are perfectly fine in vertical position. What tends to heppen is that it melts under load (around 45 Celcius) and then flows out to the edges of the IHS where it solidifies. It'll stay there until you pull the cooler off again, although you shouldn't need to for a long time.

One thing I will mention is that it's good to do a burn-in to get a good melt after you apply it. It can melt down to 0.038mm or 0.0015" in thickness. This means that if yoiu fully covered an IHS then 80% will flow out. It actually works really well if you undercut it with a ~3mm border around all 4 sides so that it is smaller than the IHS itself. Then you just peel the first plastric off, lay down on IHA and rub your finger on the top plastic film to press it onto the IHA and make sure it will stick in place, then either use tape or tweezers to peel top film, and install cooler.

Places you can find PTM7950 include Moddiy, Aliexpress, Ebuy7, and Ebay

ModMyMod, too. Thanks!