DX12 Work Graphs

EdoTensei

Hi guys. I've been thinking lately about this new DX12 Library, which is upcoming (as far as I understand), but still no date of release or implementation into current DX Library. 

And I was thinking, that this is actually a great feature, especially for limited CPU scenario games, with higher end GPUs. Even this mid range I guess. 

But there is something unclear for me. Which is power consumption in GPUs, because if after this new feature, GPU won't wait in the traffic, to get some commands from CPU, what to do next, but it will be doing all 3D stuff rendering by its own (correct me if I'm wrong), whenever GPU will desire to do, such while a game for instance, then power consumption won't increase? 

And is this new feature, equal higher FPS only in CPU limited games ? Or it means that overall when GPU will get a headroom to do as fast as it can, without waiting for CPU, then FPS will increase anyway ? 

If you aren't currently CPU limited, it should most likely not make a difference. If you are currently CPU limited and your GPU isn't running at 100% load, then it could help reduce the bottleneck, allowing the GPU to run at full speed. Which would increase power draw, relative to the CPU limited scenario, but not higher than what it did when it wasn't limited.

From my understanding it should also help the GPU make better use of its available resources, which should ideally result in better performance (probably without using more power, simply by making better use of what it has).

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/d3d12-work-graphs-preview/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply