Multi-core Focused Build

Budget (including currency): max 25,000 USD, not trying to waste money, but I'll pay for quality(main concern) and performance.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 8 and 4k video rendering and editing, AutoCAD, high scale and depth virtual renders (architectural design and overlay), and quite infrequently also video games (OW2, LoL, Valorant, etc.)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Existing parts: N/A
Peripherals: need Monitors (one at 4k and high refresh and another at 8k)

Currently using two laptops,

- ASUS ROG Zephyrus 1440p at 240hz with a 4070ti, i9-13900H, and 16gb ddr4 ram; sometimes experience inability to reach max frames in the aforementioned games or often ram peaking during renders
 - Macbook Pro 3024 x 1964 120hz with Apple M3 Max chip with 16‑core CPU, 40‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine and 64gb ram; got very hot at times, resolution frustrating and did significantly better in renders even though ram would peak as well

When: Within the next two weeks

Looking for help with brands and reliable manufacturers, the last thing I want is to deal with issues, and have to spend alot of time on them. I'm not going to get rid of my laptops, and would still like using them with whichever monitors I get. Been out of the PC space for a while, but I previously and still currently am more favoring air cooling (worried about spilling or damage although if it's reliable I'm not opposed to water entirely if it's recommended). 

I rarely touch videogames although single core performance would be nice for the occasional times that I do, if it's a hit on multicore applications then it can be completely overlooked. As mentioned with how I want it cooled, noise is a slight issue, and preferably as quiet as it can be so that I wouldn't hear it over phone notifications or voices (don't want a jet engine). Couldn't care less about aesthetics plan on shoving it under my desk, so at any and all levels performance and reliability are my greatest concern.

I appreciate any and all replies or recommendations, or if i should post parts of this in other sections of this or other forums? i.e monitor, gpu, cpu, or certain ram or memory options. Thank you 🙂

4 minutes ago, H32S2ASDA21ASFSD said:

Budget (including currency): max 25,000 USD, not trying to waste money, but I'll pay for quality(main concern) and performance.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 8 and 4k video rendering and editing, AutoCAD, high scale and depth virtual renders (architectural design and overlay), and quite infrequently also video games (OW2, LoL, Valorant, etc.)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

- ASUS ROG Zephyrus 1440p at 240hz with a 4070ti, i9-13900H, and 16gb ddr4 ram; sometimes experience inability to reach max frames in the aforementioned games or often ram peaking during renders
 - Macbook Pro 3024 x 1964 120hz with Apple M3 Max chip with 16‑core CPU, 40‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine and 64gb ram; got very hot at times, resolution frustrating and did significantly better in renders even though ram would peak as well

Looking for help with brands and reliable manufacturers, the last thing I want is to deal with issues, and have to spend alot of time on them. I'm not going to get rid of my laptops, and would still like using them with whichever monitors I get. Been out of the PC space for a while, but I previously and still currently am more favoring air cooling (worried about spilling or damage although if it's reliable I'm not opposed to water entirely if it's recommended). 

I rarely touch videogames although single core performance would be nice for the occasional times that I do, if it's a hit on multicore applications then it can be completely overlooked. As mentioned with how I want it cooled, noise is a slight issue, and preferably as quiet as it can be so that I wouldn't hear it over phone notifications or voices (don't want a jet engine). Couldn't care less about aesthetics plan on shoving it under my desk, so at any and all levels performance and reliability are my greatest concern.

I appreciate any and all replies or recommendations, or if i should post parts of this in other sections of this or other forums? i.e monitor, gpu, cpu, or certain ram or memory options. Thank you 🙂

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($549.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($98.55 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($280.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($319.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  ($1599.99 @ ASUS) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III ATX Mid Tower Case  ($139.90 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 1650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3719.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-28 18:00 EDT-0400

Though Threadripper should be perfect for this depending on how many cores you need

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($319.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  ($1599.99 @ ASUS) 
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 1650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Gigabyte ‎M28U 28.0" 3840 x 2160 144 Hz Monitor  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Threadripper 7980X ($5000.00)
Custom: TRX50 AERO D Mobo ($600.00)
Custom: Noctua NH-U14S ($130.00)
Total: $8849.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-28 18:05 EDT-0400

(for monitor on the first build just include the one that was in the second)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

If this is for productivity?

Intel i9 14900K
NVidia RTX 4090

There's no other combination you should look at.  When it comes to Productivity, it's the clear winner.

Unless you're after a metric fuckton of cores and PCIE with multi-gpu, then you can look at modern Threadripper / XEON and multiple cards.

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

If this is for productivity?

Intel i9 14900K
NVidia RTX 4090

There's no other combination you should look at.  When it comes to Productivity, it's the clear winner.

I'd still say that a Threadripper system would win out for productivity.

13 minutes ago, filpo said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($549.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($98.55 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($280.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III ATX Mid Tower Case  ($139.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3719.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-28 18:00 EDT-0400

Though Threadripper should be perfect for this depending on how many cores you need

PCPartPicker Part List

Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $8849.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-28 18:05 EDT-0400

I'd go Seasonic Prime or Vertex PSU since it has 12 year warranty over 10 from Thermaltake.  Not that it reaaally matters but he clearly specified reliability.

I am actually buying my own Vertex PX 1200 in a few days.

23 minutes ago, filpo said:

PCPartPicker Part List

are there any good 4k with 240hz? or any recs on 8k I use the Dell UltraSharp 32 8K at work which has been alright haven't tried alternatives
is there a difference between this Threadripper and the PRO 7995x (despite cores although I think that many [the PRO] is slightly overkill although i wouldnt mind)
also is that cooling enough, to my understanding Threadrippers run or ran really hot just wanted to clarify

26 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Unless you're after a metric fuckton of cores and PCIE with multi-gpu, then you can look at modern Threadripper / XEON and multiple cards.

Looking for a metric fuckton of cores, thought about multi-gpu although in the past i know SLI has been questionable at best, (maybe this isnt true anymore?)
Also looked into the Intel® Xeon® w9-3495X but couldn't find strong data points or benchmarks of it in comparison to Threadripper which topped multicore

28 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I'd still say that a Threadripper system would win out for productivity.

What about that compared to a Intel® Xeon® w9-3495X 

9 minutes ago, H32S2ASDA21ASFSD said:

are there any good 4k with 240hz? or any recs on 8k I use the Dell UltraSharp 32 8K at work which has been alright haven't tried alternatives
is there a difference between this Threadripper and the PRO 7995x (despite cores although I think that many [the PRO] is slightly overkill although i wouldnt mind)
also is that cooling enough, to my understanding Threadrippers run or ran really hot just wanted to clarify

Looking for a metric fuckton of cores, thought about multi-gpu although in the past i know SLI has been questionable at best, (maybe this isnt true anymore?)
Also looked into the Intel® Xeon® w9-3495X but couldn't find strong data points or benchmarks of it in comparison to Threadripper which topped multicore

What about that compared to a Intel® Xeon® w9-3495X 

You might want to look into https://www.pugetsystems.com/

They specialize in workstation and server with Threadripper, Epyc and Xeon builds. They also have the intel® Xeon® w9-3495X  to pick when you spec out a system.

I have definitely heard of this company before and they have been in the game for two decades at this point, they are also based in America.

I think Linus have had some of their systems in a few videos as well.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/workstations/xeon/w790-e/

18 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

You might want to look into https://www.pugetsystems.com/

They specialize in workstation and server with Threadripper, Epyc and Xeon builds. They also have the intel® Xeon® w9-3495X  to pick when you spec out a system.

I have definitely heard of this company before and they have been in the game for two decades at this point, they are also based in America.

I think Linus have had some of their systems in a few videos as well.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/workstations/xeon/w790-e/

Thank you so much, looked into it and sent out an inquiry. 
on a different line is there anywhere you'd recommend i look for monitor recommendations?

if multicore is your priority then ditch any consumer platform and look at amd epyc

mz73-lm1 at 1800$, dual socket sp5

mobo and its the only thing i could find

epyc 9654 at 2500$ each so 5000$ for 2 cpus and a total of 192 cores and 384 threads, if you think you might benifit from extra cache then theres the 9v33x at 4300$ each but you get triple the cache of the epyc 9654 (384mb -> 1152mb) and seemingly higher stock boost clock aswell (3.7ghz) and theres also the 9754 which is also 4200$ and 128c 256t albiet 256mb of cache instead of 384mb on the 9654 and 1152mb on the 9v33x, also non qs epycs cant overclock

32gb ecc ddr5 for 105$ each or 2460$ for 24 sticks and 768gb total ddr5, 16gb sticks are around 69$ (nice) at their cheapest so i wouldnt bother with those, and these are hynix m die based so you can run them up to ~7600 if you decide you wanna upgrade in the future and a future epyc would benifit alot from faster rams

around 9300$ for cpu mobo and rams if you go for non x3d epyc and 12900$ if you go for x3d cpus or 256c 512t 9754s

welp theres half your budget, could totally still fit 4 4090s and have budget leftover depending on how much your workloads scale with extra gpus even if you consider the psu(s) case storage etc.

id reccomend asking on servethehome forums since theyre more specialized when it comes to server/workstation hardware

threadripper is overpriced if you want sheer core count, its only advantages would be the usually better mobos base features or i/o wise since theyre made for desktop, the overclockability, and being able to run high freq (~5ghz) on a few cores so you dont have to build a dedicated gaming pc, but thats about it since these server boards have lots of expansion so maybe youll have to buy some expansion cards but thats about it, not to mention the shitload of ram slots cause 12 channels instead of only 4 channels, alongside dual socket and cheaper + higher core count epyc cpus

as for playing games yeah you wont be doing that here with the relatively low clocked cpus and shitton of cores so better off just building an actual gaming pc in the 1000-1500$ range, esports titles listed prefer singlecore and dont need particularly beefy gpus at lower res so you can probs get away with just buying a microcenter 7800x3d combo (470$) and a 7900 gre (~550$) for a ~1300$ total build, wouldnt bother going any cheaper since this is already near best price/performance and if you have that much to spend on a workstation you can spare a little bit for a gaming pc to blow off some steam or have a little fun since you have to preserve your mental state aswell =p

7 minutes ago, H32S2ASDA21ASFSD said:

Thank you so much, looked into it and sent out an inquiry. 
on a different line is there anywhere you'd recommend i look for monitor recommendations?

Awesome!

For monitors, Tim from Hardware Unboxed is your man 🙂

He really knows his stuff, he is on point and very critical if something is wrong.

If he gives a monitor a pass, its a safe buy.

https://www.youtube.com/@monitorsunboxed/videos

1 hour ago, H32S2ASDA21ASFSD said:

Presuming GPU rendering.

If the rendering software can use multiple GPU a second RTX 6000 Ada can be added.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($534.99 @ Newegg) 

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($98.55 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: Asus ProArt Z790-CREATOR WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($439.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory ($284.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: PNY VCNRTX6000ADA-PB RTX 6000 Ada Generation 48 GB Video Card ($9999.00 @ B&H) 

Case: be quiet! Silent Base 802 ATX Mid Tower Case ($165.54 @ Newegg Sellers) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME PX-1600 ATX 3.0 1600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($469.99 @ Amazon) 

Monitor: Dell UP3218K 31.5" 7680 x 4320 60 Hz Monitor ($4029.99 @ Dell Technologies) 

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS FO32U2 31.5" 3840 x 2160 240 Hz Monitor ($1099.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $17303.02

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-28 19:14 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

7 hours ago, H32S2ASDA21ASFSD said:

if you think that's overkill get the 32 core Amazon.com: AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 7970X 32-Core, 64-Thread Processor : Electronics

7980X

image.thumb.png.b7dd893eac06fcf358626954ce9eb54a.png

7985WX (they're both 64 core)

image.thumb.png.014649851466dd7c0ff9419db3f0e98d.png

PRO has more features for modern businesses, but not much to help for performance AMD PRO Technologies | AMD

image.thumb.png.b79d1169615326b64747c8186c2c7a93.png

image.thumb.png.6ff6bb9569e51cc89e5067e41248a867.png

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)