Used CPU.

I bought a used CPU for a cheap build I'm doing and the computer won't post. Two computers work fine using an i5 8500T, but the i5 6500 doesn't work on both. Is there anything I'm missing that could cause the 6500 to not work? I wanna cover all my bases before I return the thing.

Unless I'm misreading your description, you're not using CPUs from the same socket.

i5-8500T is 1151v2, i5-6500 is 1151v1, they're not interoperable without mods.

See, I've been searching and searching for somewhere that says something like V2 and V1, but everything just says 1151. Waste of money then, yea? Or can a bios downgrade really make it work?

Just now, Brandr said:

See, I've been searching and searching for somewhere that says something like V2 and V1, but everything just says 1151.

1151v1 is 6th and 7th generation (100 and 200 series chipset).

1151v2 is 8th and 9th generation (300 series chipset).

1 minute ago, Brandr said:

Or can a bios downgrade really make it work?

Yeah, they have been modded both ways (pin mods are also required for some CPUs), but if it was me, I'd just send the i5-6500 back and buy a i3-8100 rather than bothering with mods.

it should if you upgraded the bios. for the new cpu !!! at one point. check you mother board bios list and it should have what cpu run's in it bios wise !!! same crap I had to do when I had the old i7 2600k if I added to new of a bios it would not load windows no more !!! 

Thank you, you've been very helpful. I've got some work to do it seems.

4 minutes ago, scruffballz_86 said:

it should if you upgraded the bios. for the new cpu !!! at one point. check you mother board bios list and it should have what cpu run's in it bios wise !!! same crap I had to do when I had the old i7 2600k if I added to new of a bios it would not load windows no more !!! 

Not for this

Lga 1151 has 2 versions.

It has a version on the 100 and 200 chipset series and one on the 300 and 400 version chipsets.

Neither is compatible with eachother what so ever. They were planned to be but intel cancelled that. That is why on some boards with heavy mods you can get 8th and 9th gen to work on a 100/200 series board.

However in general 100/200 is 6th and 7th fen

300/400 is 8th and 9th gen

12 minutes ago, Brandr said:

See, I've been searching and searching for somewhere that says something like V2 and V1, but everything just says 1151. Waste of money then, yea? Or can a bios downgrade really make it work?

V1 and V2 are more the community names for the two versions of LGA 1151. Intel in a truly boneheaded move released 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th gen CPUs on the same LGA 1151 socket, but changed the pinout ever so slightly so that 8/9th gen chips won't work on 6/7th gen boards and vice versa. It is possible to get 8/9th gen chips to work on 6/7th gen motherboards if you physically modify the CPUs (bridging two pins together) and putting a custom BIOS on it, plus it can sometimes work the other way around (not on Z390 or other 9th gen boards), but it's so sketchy that I wouldn't consider that an option. 

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

300/400 is 8th and 9th gen

400 is actually 10th gen, the 9th gen release was Z390 and later B365.

Intel just wanted to make 1151 as confusing as possible.

Well they succeeded there, guess I was lucky my board worked for the 8500 I salvaged in the first place, because I did not know.