My Asus TUF 4070ti Hot-Spot Temps are 110c - black screen crashes (temps are in Celsius)

Go to solution Solved by koshabi,

turns out my issues were to do with my PSU. Sent my GPU and PSU to scan for RMA and they ran tests. in terms of the hotspot, they said that they had many of these in the past and had contacted Invidia on this matter. Apparently the hotspot temps will be different on many of the cards and said that it does not matter unless the clock speeds are going down. which in my case are not. only the core temp should be taken more seriously in their words.

I have never had issues with my GPU and is dust free - in a well ventilated case. almost had it for a year. 
when i play games that use a lot of my GPU i will have backscreen crashes where my pc stays on, but with a black screen and loud fans. I end up needing to force shutdown by the button. i suspected its a temp problem.. when i went to check, i noticed temps being uncomfortably high on the gpu. i clocked it at 110c in the hot spot. but i have seen it go more then that but crashes before then. 

are these temps normal for this card or is there a fault with the card? (temps are in Celsius)
are my black screens with the pc still on to do with the card overheating when playing games? helldivers2 is the one that black screens me. never used to do it before. my friend who has a 3080 also gets these types of backscreens when playing games, and theirs was to do with their case cooling. but the wired part for me is that my card is not being starved of cool air. 

From the screenshot i sent, the mins and max values are the ones to look at, as the current value is just my idle 

video: https://youtu.be/Ur-Ni82IsjU

Screenshot 2024-03-24 000628.png

1 hour ago, koshabi said:

I have never had issues with my GPU and is dust free - in a well ventilated case. almost had it for a year. 
when i play games that use a lot of my GPU i will have backscreen crashes where my pc stays on, but with a black screen and loud fans. I end up needing to force shutdown by the button. i suspected its a temp problem.. when i went to check, i noticed temps being uncomfortably high on the gpu. i clocked it at 110c in the hot spot. but i have seen it go more then that but crashes before then. 

are these temps normal for this card or is there a fault with the card? (temps are in Celsius)
are my black screens with the pc still on to do with the card overheating when playing games? helldivers2 is the one that black screens me. never used to do it before. my friend who has a 3080 also gets these types of backscreens when playing games, and there's was to do with their case cooling. but the wired part for me is that my card is not being starved of cool air. 

From the screenshot i sent, the mins and max values are the ones to look at, as the current value is just my idle 

video: https://youtu.be/Ur-Ni82IsjU

Screenshot 2024-03-24 000628.png

That does seem rather high and my guess would be its the VRM which will likely shut-off at around 125C, which could explain the black screens.

As to why, the only thing I could think is bad thermal pad installation during manufacturing?

Does it happen with the PC side panel off?  If so, I'd RMA the card as defective.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

i have tried this with the side panel off still no dice - would randomly crash during gameplay. i guess the card is defective ;-; thanks for reply 
i have not tested it with other games since i started getting these issues. i doubt its helldivers causing this issue. but i will try overwatch or battlefield next  

it seems to not crash in Hogwarts legacy at full blast. image.thumb.png.d57bdf1b883ff42ffe13dcefc2266b97.png

For how long have you had the PC?

For how long have you had the 4070ti?

For how long have these crashes been happening? Does it only happen one or a select few games?

Tried running GPU benchmarks to replicate the crash?

Any anomalous behavior on the CPU side of things?

If this is recent, has there been a change that could have caused the issue?

Tried undervolting the GPU? There are guides on YouTube. If Hotspot temp goes down significantly and it still crashes, it is unlikely due to overheating

Have an older graphics card to test with?

----------system specs----------

PSU: EVGA 850W PLATINUM 
CPU: RYZEN-9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF B650-PLUS
GPU: ASUS TUF 4070Ti
RAM: 32GB DDR5 CORSAIR DOMINATOR

---------------------------------

The issue happens in HellDivers 2 roughly 3-5minutes in. Usually when loading into a mission battle or looking at the war table on the main ship. Gpu temps during this game before crash had 75-80c temps and 100-110c hotspot. Temps are in Celsius. 

System does not crash at Idle. 
or in any benchmarks / other games 

I have 2 monitors. 
1st monitor is a 2k 144hz lg - Display port 
2nd monitor 4k 60hz lg - HDMI

Things i have tried - i booted hell divers 2 up every time a change has been made below. Each of them failing and the game crashing 5-10mins in. 
-take side panel off. No effect 
-Disabled AMD expo DDR5 profiles: no effect system black screen
-Reinstall graphics drivers + latest drivers express installation. Through GeForce experience: no effect system black screen
-Checked cables in pc: No effect system black-screen
-Updated bios drivers from (1636) to (2413): game played longer then usual then back to: 25mins in: no effect system black screen
-Turned off all start up applications: no effect system black screen
-Checking widows corruption: DISM Online Clean Up image / scan health power-shell command. No effect system black screen 
-Moving game file to different ssd: 5mins in: no effect system black screen.
-Turn graphics card switch from performance to quiet mode: no crashes in hell divers 2: no effect still blacked screen. With side panel off, managed to get 25mins of gameplay. Even through temps were the same on hw monitor. Could be VRMS overheating. 
-4K display unplugged: effective - no crashes. 

Unplugging 4k display has stopped system crash in helldivers 2. Not sure why those has fixed the issue. Managed to play hell divers 2 for 2 hours without crashes 

my suspicion is running a 4k monitor at 150% scaled could be causing the crashes in hell divers. so i will try running both monitors at 2k instead of 4k res and see if the issue comes back.  

short term fix is to undervolt and overclock. I have a 3060 that hits 90c with stock clocks and gets 8500 stock in timespy, now with an undervolt/oc I get 8800 with temps maxing out at 74c usually 60s while gaming. it can make a big difference and also I'd say ambiet temps can play a role as well as thermal paste application from factory if its not too late i'd rma

On 3/24/2024 at 2:41 AM, koshabi said:

it seems to not crash in Hogwarts legacy at full blast. image.thumb.png.d57bdf1b883ff42ffe13dcefc2266b97.png

Its still hitting 112C on hot spot though which is mighty concerning to me, as its only likely to get worse over time as the thermal pads dry out.

The 4070 Ti is not a power hungry card, the hot spot should not be this high IMO although I can't check mine as its on Linux.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

turns out my issues were to do with my PSU. Sent my GPU and PSU to scan for RMA and they ran tests. in terms of the hotspot, they said that they had many of these in the past and had contacted Invidia on this matter. Apparently the hotspot temps will be different on many of the cards and said that it does not matter unless the clock speeds are going down. which in my case are not. only the core temp should be taken more seriously in their words.