audio interface that doesnt send every input everywhere

NotIPlayForFun

So I'm looking for an external DAC/ADC for following usecase:

at least 2 inputs:

-1 xlr mic (for discord) 48v phantom power

-1 guitar line input

outputs:

-1 into the pc obviously

-1 for monitors/speakers (preferrably analogue)

My main problem is that I don't want all outputs going everywhere all the time. I don't want my mic to be going into the pc->digital amp when I play guitar, or into the speakers, but I don't want to unplug it every time either.

Is there a feature for this and if so what is it called? 😄

side note: my new mobo doesn't have the best audio codec, but I'm 99% sure that never matters when im using an audio interface anyway. Just wondering if someone can confirm my 1% doubt

Most audio interfaces can do that. Its just a matter of settings. For example the Audient id14mkII, i use at home, is fully configurable when it comes to internal routing. Even the headphone out is independent from the other outs. While, for example, the audient evo4, i also use, basically only has one DAC. So the Main out and the headphone out always get the same signal.

The audio codec in your mainboard doesnt matter at all when you use an external interface.

22 hours ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Most audio interfaces can do that. Its just a matter of settings. For example the Audient id14mkII, i use at home, is fully configurable when it comes to internal routing. Even the headphone out is independent from the other outs. While, for example, the audient evo4, i also use, basically only has one DAC. So the Main out and the headphone out always get the same signal.

The audio codec in your mainboard doesnt matter at all when you use an external interface.

Thank you for responding ❤️

I suppose I've realized what I'm actually looking for is the ability for the audio interface to register as 2 digital devices.

In the digital amp (archetype) you can only select 1 audio device, which it takes as input and output. It would be convenient to have that device be ONLY the guitar input channel of the interface, not the whole interface. As I understand it, internal routing is only either which outputs direct monitoring goes to, or which outputs the digital input from the pc goes to.

Sadly the focusrite 2i2 has like absolutely 0 features, and if I want the very nice TotalMix Fx, which comes with rme devices and I believe does have what I'm looking for, I have to pay like 800dollars for the cheapest one lmao.

Though for now its no biggie, just have to turn the mic gain down or unplug it

You're looking for more of a traditional studio mixer than an audio interface. I have the ZEDi-10, but this smaller version would do you well. It has a 2x2 USB interface so you can have 2 track recording in. So say you were recording vocals and your guitar at the same time, your DAW will record CH1 and CH2 into two separate tracks. But to your specific question:

On 3/23/2024 at 8:47 AM, NotIPlayForFun said:

I don't want my mic to be going into the pc->digital amp when I play guitar, or into the speakers, but I don't want to unplug it every time either.

Is there a feature for this and if so what is it called?

All you have to do is keep the mic channel volume and gain turned all the way down. You could also turn off the 48v phantom power. This mixer will also be able to output your PC audio to your monitors over the single USB so that's one less thing to hook up/unplug. It's a little bit more expensive than Behringer, Mackie, and other mid-tier mixers; but having used many of those over the years, it's well worth the extra couple bucks.