Laptop for physics and math major

I'm trying to find the best laptop option for me to use while I finish my major. I will need to do a couple of programming courses, modeling (I think the physics program uses some simulations as well), and data processing. I do light gaming (not new demanding AAA games) and some photo editing (Photoshop) on the side. My budget is $2000 Canadian rubles including tax.

The specs I'm aiming for are:

16GB+ ram ideally sodimm to upgrade later

>4 hours of battery

Has USB C charging option (not only USB C, just so I can save carrying a brick with me to school)

14-16" relatively light weight (I bring a tablet with me to school as well)

2x M.2 slots/Compatible with a side loaded LinuxOS

Be usable for 4 years

Trying to find as good as I can get within my budget so any input is appreciated.

Keep being awesome!

51 minutes ago, TheRocque said:

I'm trying to find the best laptop option for me to use while I finish my major. I will need to do a couple of programming courses, modeling (I think the physics program uses some simulations as well), and data processing. I do light gaming (not new demanding AAA games) and some photo editing (Photoshop) on the side. My budget is $2000 Canadian rubles including tax.

The specs I'm aiming for are:

16GB+ ram ideally sodimm to upgrade later

>4 hours of battery

Capable of USB C charging (just for at school, okay with a brick at home for heavier use)

14-16" relatively light weight (I bring a tablet with me to school as well)

2x M.2 slots/Compatible with a side loaded LinuxOS

Be usable for 4 years

Trying to find as good as I can get within my budget so any input is appreciated.

Keep being awesome!

https://www.newegg.ca/onyx-grey-aluminium-pc-abs-lenovo-legion-pro-5-16arx8-82wm005ycc-gaming/p/N82E16834840492

Th
is was the best one I could find 8c/16t cpu and rtx 4070

I think you'll have a hard time finding one that will meet all of your criteria. Performance wise just about any "Gaming Laptop" will do what you want, the problem is down to the required battery life and charging from type C. My work laptop is dell precision with an i7, 32Gb ram, 2 m.2 and quadro (can't recall the exact specs off the top of my head). It can charge off of type c through it's dock but requires two c cable to do it. Plugging it into one and a 150w cable type c charger can almost charge it but I get warnings from it. If it's off it will slowly charge. 

It may be worth getting two computers, A lightweight laptop and a desktop to remote into or a gaming laptop for when you need the extra Hp. I have a 17in MSI that I'll use for gaming and I picked up a $500 14" hp probook that supports c charging with a ryzen 5 and vega graphics. It has enough power to run Factorio pretty well and some older games on lower settings but the battery life is 4ish hours gaming to 10 just browsing, playing media, or typing. I have a 100w usb c battery bank that can completely recharge the battery from dead. It weighs nothing and is easy to take everywhere. Many years ago when I was in school I went the multi computer setup. I had a macbook pro 13" that I would take everywhere to take notes, program, and remote into my desktop for anything more intensive. If you go this route try and get one with nvidia graphics, there is a remote desktop software from Parsec (LTT did a video on it showing their editors remotely editing video) it works great and has very little lag.

3 hours ago, voyager_ said:

I think you'll have a hard time finding one that will meet all of your criteria. Performance wise just about any "Gaming Laptop" will do what you want, the problem is down to the required battery life and charging from type C. My work laptop is dell precision with an i7, 32Gb ram, 2 m.2 and quadro (can't recall the exact specs off the top of my head). It can charge off of type c through it's dock but requires two c cable to do it. Plugging it into one and a 150w cable type c charger can almost charge it but I get warnings from it. If it's off it will slowly charge. 

It may be worth getting two computers, A lightweight laptop and a desktop to remote into or a gaming laptop for when you need the extra Hp. I have a 17in MSI that I'll use for gaming and I picked up a $500 14" hp probook that supports c charging with a ryzen 5 and vega graphics. It has enough power to run Factorio pretty well and some older games on lower settings but the battery life is 4ish hours gaming to 10 just browsing, playing media, or typing. I have a 100w usb c battery bank that can completely recharge the battery from dead. It weighs nothing and is easy to take everywhere. Many years ago when I was in school I went the multi computer setup. I had a macbook pro 13" that I would take everywhere to take notes, program, and remote into my desktop for anything more intensive. If you go this route try and get one with nvidia graphics, there is a remote desktop software from Parsec (LTT did a video on it showing their editors remotely editing video) it works great and has very little lag.

I should probably clarify, I'm not expecting full power charging through USB C. The hope is to not have to carry another power brick. I already have a block that can do 100W PD so just want to be able to use that to extend the battery if need be.