ASUS ROG Extreme Z790 Dark Hero + 192GB RAM KIT CAUSING INTERMITTENT BSOD

Hello All,

Has anyone else experienced Issues when trying to use 192GB RAM on this Motherboard or with Corsair Vengeance RBG Black 192GB 5200MHz DDR5? Seem to be experiencing blue screen errors. I have enabled XMP and I used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility For Overclocking. No custom settings, Just used the standard AI overclock and Enabled the XMP profile for this RAM. Seems to sporadically close programs, Crash games etc. as well with memory errors. Also to confirm, It Is 1 KIT for the 192GB, I have not mixed any kits. All hardware Is less than 1-2 months old. 

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Specs:

Windows 11 Pro

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K

ASUS ROG Extreme Z790 Dark Hero - BIOS Version 1002

Corsair Vengeance RBG Black 192GB 5200MHz DDR5

Asus GeForce RTX 4090 ROG Strix 

Corsair AXi Series AX1600i

Attaching the Minidumps from the Blue Screens. Any questions or Any further Info please let me know. I am pulling my hair out here trying to find out why I can't make it run stably for a long period of time.... 

Thanks

Jacob

031424-9531-01.dmp 032024-8421-01.dmp

19 minutes ago, JGM2030 said:

Has anyone else experienced Issues when trying to use 192GB RAM on this Motherboard or with Corsair Vengeance RBG Black 192GB 5200MHz DDR5?

Yes, it's been very well documented that quad rank memory on both Intel and AMD is a nightmare to get stable. It's very hard for on the CPUs memory controller, and your max speed will end up between 4000 and 5200MT/s depending on how lucky you are. It sounds like you aren't that lucky. 

Disable XMP and those random blue screens should go away. If they don't go away at the 3600 JEDEC speed it will run at by default, then there's likely something wrong with either the memory, the CPU, the motherboard, or the BIOS revision. 

Still BSOD Intermittently with XMP turned off - It runs these at default of 4200MHz.

I've already had the CPU replaced so I'd say I could rule that out, This RAM kit was also brand new a few weeks ago. How would I go about verifying If It's potentially the motherboard? 

There Is a new revision for the Motherboard so I might attempt updating If It continues. It's quite annoying that they say 192GB works but everything I've tried It works for a week or so then starts Intermittently BSOD. I am tempted to return the RAM and stick with a smaller amount only using 2 slots but I'd Ideally like to confirm If It's the motherboard before I do that since It might keep happening again.

• 1 month later...

Hi JGM,

I attempted the same configuration with two Dark Hero motherboards in Nov 2023. 

No over-clocking, using the latest available BIOS. 

In Nov 2023, I noticed no one had tested the 14900K with 192GB using the Dark Hero.

I expected Asus to release a new revision of the motherboard, a rev 2.0 before the config became stable.

Are you saying, "Asus is now shipping a Rev 2.0 of the Dark Hero"?

Do you mean this? - https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-discontinues-rog-z790-apex-overclocking-motherboard-a-new-version-is-on-the-horizon

Stewart