Help with Nivdia custom resolution

Jerm1990

I'm having a weird issue with custom resolution in Nvidia control panel. So I've actually had this issue before and was able to figure it out but for the life of me I just can't fix it this time. I have my PC connected to my living room TV (I like to game on the couch yes I know a monitor would be better but show me a 65in monitor for under $500). My old TV supported 120hz but I had to make a custom resolution, I just got a new Samsung TV that on paper supports 120hz but if I try to set it in Windows it only shows 60hz and the same in Nivdia control panel. Now this is the same thing that happened on my old TV so no big deal I'll just make a custom resolution thats set to 120hz the test works fine I click save and the custom resolution I just made just disappears?! I have tried everything I know to try different HDMI cables, a display port to hdmi cable, DDU my driver and reinstall, I even went back to my old TV set the custom resolution and when I connect to my new TV its gone again! WTF is going on here?

does your tv only support 60hz inputs and advertises 120hz due to the tv's built in action smoothing? Because that's what most tv's are.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

does your tv only support 60hz inputs and advertises 120hz due to the tv's built in action smoothing? Because that's what most tv's are.

I'm not sure, didn't think of that. Whats weird is when you test it in Nvidia control panel it works and looks as if its at 120 (could be placebo) but when you click to save the resolution it just doesn't

2 minutes ago, Jerm1990 said:

I'm not sure, didn't think of that. Whats weird is when you test it in Nvidia control panel it works and looks as if its at 120 (could be placebo) but when you click to save the resolution it just doesn't

might have to doublecheck your manual or tv specs and see what the tv actually is. 120hz tvs aren't super cheap or common currently. most are just 60hz with their own frame blending built in so they can advertise 120hz to unsuspecting customers.