RAM not functioning as intended.

I recently bought 2 extra sticks of the same RAM i had in my motherboard, increasing it to 32GB with a speed of 3000MHz. Although the capacity shows up correctly, the RAM speed is shown as 900MHz or 1400MHz with game boost and an A-XMP profile on. I've also checked if my mother board is supported for such RAM speeds and it sure is, it says that it could go up to 3200MHz and even more. 

I've recently done a factory reset wiping all drives and also migrating my OS to a different drive, yet the issue still persists, with game boost and A-XMP my computer also seems to crash sometimes.

I have provided a screenshot of CPU-Z RAM currently running + the SPD tab, perhaps the timings or/and voltages ar off.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600X

GTX 1660TI GDDR6 6GB

MSI B450M BAZOOKA V2

G-SKILL AEGIS 32GB 3000MHZ

Screenshot_2.png

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 09.13.30.jpeg

Screenshot_3.png

1 minute ago, Blasty Blosty said:

What does task manager say the frequency is?

Same as CPU-Z i'll drop a screenshot

Screenshot_4.png

Are you sure your motherboard supports 4 sticks at them speeds? Some boards boast these high speeds but they are only reachable with 2 sticks of RAM

1 minute ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Are you sure your motherboard supports 4 sticks at them speeds? Some boards boast these high speeds but they are only reachable with 2 sticks of RAM

Haven't tried, but i recall a similar thing happen when i had 2 sticks in. I'll try to take 2 out and see if it changes anything.

Good shout, let us know. If it can hit the speeds with 2 sticks, then you might have to try manually setting the speed and timing in the BIOS

1400MHz = 2800MT/s

If those are dual rank sticks then it's not going to work easily without some manual tuning as you're likely held back by the 2000 series Ryzens memory controller which isn't that great and can be very picky. 

20 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Good shout, let us know. If it can hit the speeds with 2 sticks, then you might have to try manually setting the speed and timing in the BIOS

Took out 2, still goes at 1400MHz. I also tried to set them all to run at 2800MHz, no results.

I looked at the sticks visually, and they have some differences but all voltages and speeds, etc. match. (photo provided)

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 09.47.43.jpeg

17 minutes ago, WereCat said:

1400MHz = 2800MT/s

If those are dual rank sticks then it's not going to work easily without some manual tuning as you're likely held back by the 2000 series Ryzens memory controller which isn't that great and can be very picky. 

How would i go about trying to tune them manually?

19 minutes ago, WereCat said:

1400MHz = 2800MT/s

Stopped to mention, running 32GB takes up all 4 DIMM slots. With 16GB it's dual channel but all 32 takes 4.

3 minutes ago, karote10 said:

Took out 2, still goes at 1400MHz. I also tried to set them all to run at 2800MHz, no results.

Have you reset the BIOS?

Just now, Blasty Blosty said:

Have you reset the BIOS?

If you're talking about a CMOS reset, then yes, a couple times. That's when the speed goes to 900MHz on a default config.

Don't suppose you have another motherboard to test the sticks on? To see if they still drop to that low of a speed? The base frequency of DDR4 is 2400HMz, it shouldn't be any lower

I was thinking it has to do with the timings, there are some things that just don't make sense to me, but i don't have an idea on how to change any of em.

Screenshot_5.png

The voltage is higher on the last DIMM as well, strange.

1 minute ago, karote10 said:

but i don't have an idea on how to change any of em.

It involves a big brain and a lot of fiddling in the BIOS, way beyond me

5 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Don't suppose you have another motherboard to test the sticks on? To see if they still drop to that low of a speed? The base frequency of DDR4 is 2400HMz, it shouldn't be any lower

Sadly not. Could try anything that doesn't involve any other parts.

18 minutes ago, karote10 said:

How would i go about trying to tune them manually?

Too many variables but I'd personally try adjusting SOC and DRAM Voltage manually first.

I'm looking into it, seems that to tune them manually perhaps they all need to be from the same manufacturer? 2 sticks are by samsung and 2 are by hynix. Even though they have the same exact specs the die density and architecture seems to messing with something (not sure though)

When you ran them as a pair rather than as a 4, were the brands the same?

4 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

When you ran them as a pair rather than as a 4, were the brands the same?

Yes, since they came in a kit, they are definetly the same. The ones i have had for the longer time, i have had since 2019, new ones are 2023.

It also looks like these have a different PCB revision since the notch is in a slightly different spot...

2 minutes ago, karote10 said:

Yes, since they came in a kit, they are definetly the same. The ones i have had for the longer time, i have had since 2019, new ones are 2023.

Weird, I don't see a reason the frequency should be so low

I'm thinking that maybe it's just a display error, perhaps it is running as intented it just shows up as half the speed as i've set it.

6 minutes ago, karote10 said:

I'm thinking that maybe it's just a display error, perhaps it is running as intented it just shows up as half the speed as i've set it.

Perhaps, but that would add to the mystery haha