Connecting a display 75-125 ft from my PC? March 2024.

mlambert831
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

I mean an optical hdmi cable and then a 50m usb 2.0 over ethernet adapter will do. Will be about 200$ in total.

Else well what do you want to do on the tv and what do you want to do in the home office?

I've found quite a bit of information and it's hard to tell what exactly is out of date.  

My home PC and my home office are on opposite sides of the house. I'd like to leave my PC where it is, but I'd like to be able to connect to it from my home office about 75 feet linear away from the PC. 

I see wireless options, but they seem pretty awful.  The most RECENT suggestions I can find are suggesting a thunderbolt run to support periphs as well as the monitor/tv.  

If I run the cables through or along the walls, due to the layout of the home I would likely need almost 125 foot of cable (would have to go up to the roof, across the house, and back down. 

I'm hoping I can get some suggestions for good TV's or Monitors (seems like which I should use depends more-so on how I am attempting to connect the setup) as well as the supporting equipment to get it all hooked up.  

I do not mind using a second PC to accomplish the goal (I have a decent laptop) if that is the best route.  

A wireless route would be preferred but it seems as though those solutions are not-quite-there yet.

I don't have unlimited budget for the task, but I'm also not worried about spending a few hundred bucks on the connection-portion of this project.  

I mean an optical hdmi cable and then a 50m usb 2.0 over ethernet adapter will do. Will be about 200$ in total.

Else well what do you want to do on the tv and what do you want to do in the home office?

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

I have a desk in the living room that I use for gaming and recreation, it's also connected to a TV we occasionally watch movies on. I'd like to leave that there. I also spent a good amount of time modifying my TV Stand to accommodate the PC.  

In the office I will mostly just be working, so don't exactly need the best response time, but if it doesn't add much to the cost, being able to game in there too would be great for those late night sessions.  The main thing I'd love to avoid is the cable run, mostly because I'm not sure how to make it pretty.  Is optical hdmi + usb 2.0 over ethernet better than a thunderbolt setup? Or simply better cost? 

48 minutes ago, mlambert831 said:

I have a desk in the living room that I use for gaming and recreation, it's also connected to a TV we occasionally watch movies on. I'd like to leave that there. I also spent a good amount of time modifying my TV Stand to accommodate the PC.  

In the office I will mostly just be working, so don't exactly need the best response time, but if it doesn't add much to the cost, being able to game in there too would be great for those late night sessions.  The main thing I'd love to avoid is the cable run, mostly because I'm not sure how to make it pretty.  Is optical hdmi + usb 2.0 over ethernet better than a thunderbolt setup? Or simply better cost? 

Waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy more pricr effective and also doesnt have to go through different protocols.

Also keep in mind desktop and laptop thunderbolt are VERY different.

For one your dekstop has to have a thunderbolt compatible board, then needs a compatible thunderbolt card, then also have a display IN to carry video signal and it all also has to hopefully work.

then you need a FIBER thunderbolt hub and fiber cable run.

This is going to be VERY expensive like 1000$+

Wireless is just not really feasable here unfortunatly.

Best you can do is drill holes in the wall and do cable gutter runs. Or if you have plints you can usually run cables behind that.

If you aren't allowed to do any renovations cable gutters on a ceiling corner would be the most well hidden

I really appreciate your insight friend, that's very helpful.  I hope I am not asking for a glass of milk with these follow ups. 

Am I maybe being silly? I've got a laptop I'm willing to dedicate to the office space and work off of, it makes no difference to me, but while the laptop has a 3070, my PC has a 4090 and obviously I'd prefer to take advantage of that (outside of work).  Is there perhaps an alternate path to the end goal with that in mind? The home PC is mostly for entertainment anyway, I don't need to work off of it, I mostly just wanted to be able to play games off of it in the other room.

As I type this out, I think "ahh, of course, Steam's Streaming feature!" but I believe that will still be sending the data online, and pulling it back down locally, giving me a remote-like experience even within the same house.  

9 hours ago, mlambert831 said:

I really appreciate your insight friend, that's very helpful.  I hope I am not asking for a glass of milk with these follow ups. 

Am I maybe being silly? I've got a laptop I'm willing to dedicate to the office space and work off of, it makes no difference to me, but while the laptop has a 3070, my PC has a 4090 and obviously I'd prefer to take advantage of that (outside of work).  Is there perhaps an alternate path to the end goal with that in mind? The home PC is mostly for entertainment anyway, I don't need to work off of it, I mostly just wanted to be able to play games off of it in the other room.

As I type this out, I think "ahh, of course, Steam's Streaming feature!" but I believe that will still be sending the data online, and pulling it back down locally, giving me a remote-like experience even within the same house.  

Steams in home streaming is local but if you do that I HIGHLY recommend a ethernet cable stil as whilst over wifi its pretty decent you'll notice the difference vs a cable quite quickly.

You can also hybrid. A 3070m is no slouch so if ya play high octane shooters n stuff that need quick reactions you can game locally on the laptop and for the pretty single players or calm multis you can do steam streaming