Upgrade Feedback for siblings old prebuild

Budget (including currency): 300 - 350 EUR max

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: CS:GO, some light to medium programming work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an upgrade path for my brothers prebuild PC. It's currently running a 7th Gen Core i5 and is slowly but surely dying of old age. He is looking for an upgrade path to make this system last throughout his degree and upgrade after as soon as he has some more money. The only thing about his current build he wants to retain is his 1050 TI which he hasn't had any issues with so far (and a substantially better GPU wouldn't fit the budget anyways).

Current parts list

• MSI GTX 1050 TI
  • Some unbranded mico-ATX Board
  • A 350W no-name PSU
  • Intel 7000 series i5
  • 8GB of RAM
  • 1TB SATA SSD + 1TB HDD

I've been thinking it would probably be wise to go with an AM5 platform since we'll (hopefully) get some more generations out of it.

My suggested parts list looks like this

• AMD Ryzen 5 7600 (using the box cooler)

• Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial DDR5-5200 CL42

• ASRock A620M-HDV/M.2

He doesn't want to buy used cause he has been burned by eBay in the past.

Would this setup be any good for the coming years? In case he wants to upgrade graphics soon he'll definitely have to use some other PSU, but other than that I think this would futureproof him for the time being?

Hopefully this time it'll work out 😄

I appreciate your insights

I mean your suggested parts look just fine, decent choices for the budget allocated, but are you sure that you're gonna have enough for that?
Next step would be a GPU upgrade, tho that's sadly on more expensive side, at least it's not as bad as it used to be though..

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

12 minutes ago, Catzzye said:

, but are you sure that you're gonna have enough for that?

Yeah the budget my brother specified was 350 Euro max. Looking at the prices from reputable vendors in Germany, I can get this stuff for 340 Euros.

Regarding the GPU, that is true. But the GPU would be a bigger upgrade anyways considering it would also require a new PSU. Hopefully he can delay upgrading long enough until the new Intel Gen is out to hopefully have some options in the entrylevel to mid segment. If really necessary I would also give him my 1660 super since I'm fine with onboard graphics

1 hour ago, MoVo said:

Budget (including currency): 300 - 350 EUR max

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: CS:GO, some light to medium programming work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an upgrade path for my brothers prebuild PC. It's currently running a 7th Gen Core i5 and is slowly but surely dying of old age. He is looking for an upgrade path to make this system last throughout his degree and upgrade after as soon as he has some more money. The only thing about his current build he wants to retain is his 1050 TI which he hasn't had any issues with so far (and a substantially better GPU wouldn't fit the budget anyways).

Current parts list

• MSI GTX 1050 TI
  • Some unbranded mico-ATX Board
  • A 350W no-name PSU
  • Intel 7000 series i5
  • 8GB of RAM
  • 1TB SATA SSD + 1TB HDD

I've been thinking it would probably be wise to go with an AM5 platform since we'll (hopefully) get some more generations out of it.

My suggested parts list looks like this

• AMD Ryzen 5 7600 (using the box cooler)

• Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial DDR5-5200 CL42

• ASRock A620M-HDV/M.2

He doesn't want to buy used cause he has been burned by eBay in the past.

Would this setup be any good for the coming years? In case he wants to upgrade graphics soon he'll definitely have to use some other PSU, but other than that I think this would futureproof him for the time being?

Hopefully this time it'll work out 😄

I appreciate your insights

Not very good, board is super meh, RAM awfully slow ...

With that very tight budget I'd go AM4, you could get a 5700X3D, 16GB RAM and a decent B550 board, will be faster at anything (because 8 cores and 3D cache)

"Upgrade path" on AM5 is a moot point here, as nothing on your list will be really worth keeping ...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€255.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€90.83 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€41.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €388.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-13 20:15 CET+0100

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

11 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Not very good, board is super meh, RAM awfully slow ...

With that very tight budget I'd go AM4, you could get a 5700X3D, 16GB RAM and a decent B550 board, will be faster at anything (because 8 cores and 3D cache)

"Upgrade path" on AM5 is a moot point here, as nothing on your list will be really worth keeping ...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€255.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€90.83 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€41.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €388.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-13 20:15 CET+0100

Personally I’d go with a better upgrade path in the future if your brother manages to get more budget. 7600 is a very decent processor, board is ‘sufficient’. Up to you/your bro!

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠