Synology Backup Software Basic Question

Ive had a synology nas for a while, but I basically just copy files I want to back up to it manually. What is the best preferably free/open source software to use so I can designate folders to automatically mirror to the device?

I forgot I have AOMEI installed, was just using it for unrelated reasons and saw the backup option... is their backup software good? or is there a better option?

Windows? Mount the SMB share.

Backups? Veeam agent for windows

People never go out of business.

Specifically I want to mirror the files there so that they are a backup but also accessible remotely.

31 minutes ago, Naveronasis said:

Specifically I want to mirror the files there so that they are a backup but also accessible remotely.

I like using goodsync. 

It isn't the prettiest application but does what it says in the name. 

They also have an android app, not sure about ios.

If just copying files so far was enough, I assume you don't need your entire windows install to be backed up, but you specifically select what you want backed up. If that is all you want, two options that won't require additional software are:

• Writing a simple robocopy script and automate it to run daily.
  • "file history", which is directly integrated into windows. Looking at reviews online, it doesn't seem to be that bad.

I found "Free File Sync" seems to actually be really good.... though there is a "paid" version called "donation version" but its a "name your own price" deal. So you can get some really great things outta it for the price of a coffee.

Here it is in action.... how many Easter eggs you can find lol

image.png

Just utilize the app Synology Drive. As a feature in Synology NAS, it supports automatic syncing of files among a couple of devices, file history (and therefore roll-back) and sharing. Installations and a few configurations are required on both the NAS & the client.😃

I don't want it synced across multiple devices.

Basically I have all the important files on my main PC backed up, mirrored to the NAS. But several other computers will cherry pick those files, and might even add to them.

On 3/16/2024 at 12:07 AM, Naveronasis said:

I don't want it synced across multiple devices.

Then make a syncing task between your personal folders on NAS (with User Home Service enabled in Synology Drive admin console) and PC, rather than making it as a team folder. Detailed instructions can be obtained from Synology's official documentations.😃