Rtx 3090 fe fan goes 3000rpm with no reason

Go to solution Solved by MONSTERR_,

The gpu came back from the repair shop and it seems that fan was faulty it was changed for a new one and that resolved the issue, but for anyone reading this I have read a lot recently about that issue and if you have a problem with your fans there are literally tens of reasons why they can malfunction. From drivers to physical damages to the pcb. Thanks everybody who responded to this topic

Yesterday when I was just browsing the web one of my gpu fan started spinning really fast with no reason. I wasn't doing anything gpu intensive. After I checked hwinfo everything seemed okay, temps were good, power draw etc. but that one fan spinning at 3000rpm. Fans in this card didn't even spin that fast even when at full load. The interesting part is the other fan is behaving normally. There are also situations when the "angry" fan slows down and both fans even turn off as they should when idle, but after some time issue comes back. I don't know what to do, because card works, but that screaming fan makes me crazy. There is also the thing that card is already out of warranty so don't write rma. Please, does somebody have an idea how to fix it?

8 minutes ago, MONSTERR_ said:

Anybody? Please

Do you have any fan control software? Often Nvidia cards have 2 seperate controller for their fans, on my gigabyte 3060 i was able to control the rear fan and the 2 front fans seperately. Are you maybe accidentally controlling one of the fans to max out really early?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

yeh, try afterburner or fan control,  if that doesn't work get a replacement cooler, cost like 20 bucks on ali express (without heatsink) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 3/12/2024 at 11:34 AM, TatamiMatt said:

Do you have any fan control software? Often Nvidia cards have 2 seperate controller for their fans, on my gigabyte 3060 i was able to control the rear fan and the 2 front fans seperately. Are you maybe accidentally controlling one of the fans to max out really early?

Yes, I installed MSI afterburner only to see if it can slow down the fan, but it gives no effect whatsoever. Additionally I checked the card in a friends PC and the card does the same thing after a few minutes so it's highly possible that it's a gpu issue

On 3/12/2024 at 12:01 PM, Mark Kaine said:

yeh, try afterburner or fan control,  if that doesn't work get a replacement cooler, cost like 20 bucks on ali express (without heatsink) 

Do you mean the fan only? I think this wouldn't work, because the day before yesterday after resetting the bios gpu went back to normal and I could even change fans speed in afterburner. Yesterday evening the issue came back, but now it sits between 2500-2800 rpm and fluctuates even when the card has 25 degrees Celsius and sometimes it drops to 1800 (still on idle). Also sometimes after turning pc on it doesn't go full blast immediately (usually does), then fans even turn off, but after few minutes same problem again

8 minutes ago, MONSTERR_ said:

Do you mean the fan only? I think this wouldn't work, because the day before yesterday after resetting the bios gpu went back to normal and I could even change fans speed in afterburner. Yesterday evening the issue came back, but now it sits between 2500-2800 rpm and fluctuates even when the card has 25 degrees Celsius and sometimes it drops to 1800 (still on idle). Also sometimes after turning pc on it doesn't go full blast immediately (usually does), then fans even turn off, but after few minutes same problem again

no i mean the whole cooler shroud  including fans, without the heatsink.

i mean this is either a software issue or the card, at least the cooler part, is defective. only one way to find out!

im not going to sift through ali express for hours to find the right cooler for you, but here is a good starting point...

https://de.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-3090-fan-.html?osf=direct&spm=a2g0n.detail.header.0

they *will* have a 3090 fe shroud replacement (including fans) but finding it is the tricky part, unfortunately. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

59 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

no i mean the whole cooler shroud  including fans, without the heatsink.

i mean this is either a software issue or the card, at least the cooler part, is defective. only one way to find out!

im not going to sift through ali express for hours to find the right cooler for you, but here is a good starting point...

https://de.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-3090-fan-.html?osf=direct&spm=a2g0n.detail.header.0

they *will* have a 3090 fe shroud replacement (including fans) but finding it is the tricky part, unfortunately. 

I don’t know how changing the fans is supposed to help when fan is able to behave normally when it wants to. I just don’t get it, especially when the other fan is doing completely fine. And please tell me what do you mean by saying cooler shroud, because I’m not native English and in my language it’s meaning is almost the same as the radiator

36 minutes ago, MONSTERR_ said:

I don’t know how changing the fans is supposed to help when fan is able to behave normally when it wants to. I just don’t get it, especially when the other fan is doing completely fine. And please tell me what do you mean by saying cooler shroud, because I’m not native English and in my language it’s meaning is almost the same as the radiator

The radiator or heatsink is the metal bit (bottom thing thats silver), the fan shroud would be the plastic bit on top that holds the fans (top bit in black)

di spessore Faringe cane gpu custom fan far finta ciclo stridio

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 hour ago, MONSTERR_ said:

don’t know how changing the fans is supposed to help when fan is able to behave normally when it wants to

because that's what malfunctioning electronics do... they work until they don't...

as said otherwise a software issue probably... make sure you have no third party software like fancontrol etc running.  if the fan is not defective it doesn't need controlling it works automatically. 

so again,  if that doesn't work,  parts of the gpu must be defective. 

(the only issue im having is I obviously don't know what kind of software you're running - may post a screenshot of your startup tab which would help with that)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, MONSTERR_ said:

Yes, I installed MSI afterburner only to see if it can slow down the fan, but it gives no effect whatsoever. Additionally I checked the card in a friends PC and the card does the same thing after a few minutes so it's highly possible that it's a gpu issue

yeah card defective.  replace the cooler.  im not sure what else we could tell you? you just proven that its *not* a software issue...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, TatamiMatt said:

The radiator or heatsink is the metal bit (bottom thing thats silver), the fan shroud would be the plastic bit on top that holds the fans (top bit in black)

di spessore Faringe cane gpu custom fan far finta ciclo stridio

its possible just replacing the fans would already fix the issue right?

im just saying to replace the whole shroud to be on the safe side. but issue would be finding a replacement shroud, but im sure they're available on ali express and don't cost much. 

ps: alternatively good old 2 noctua fans + zip ties, problem solved lol. 

(this really isnt that difficult to fix)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

46 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

its possible just replacing the fans would already fix the issue right?

im just saying to replace the whole shroud to be on the safe side. but issue would be finding a replacement shroud, but im sure they're available on ali express and don't cost much. 

ps: alternatively good old 2 noctua fans + zip ties, problem solved lol. 

(this really isnt that difficult to fix)

Thanks, for all the replies. I’m getting the gpu to the repair shop, cause they have free diagnosis so at least I would know what’s really going on. 

• 3 weeks later...

The gpu is still in the repair shop by now. From what they've told me they replaced all components responsible for fan speed and tried different bios'es and even custom ones, nothing worked. Recently they've told me that issue was resolved, but they keep gpu for testing and the day after I've got a message that issue came back. They also told me that they don't know what is wrong with the gpu, everything seems fine, but fan is still malfunctioning and that they probably will return it to me without fixing it so... inexplicable issue.

P.S. different fan did the same thing

• 3 weeks later...

The gpu came back from the repair shop and it seems that fan was faulty it was changed for a new one and that resolved the issue, but for anyone reading this I have read a lot recently about that issue and if you have a problem with your fans there are literally tens of reasons why they can malfunction. From drivers to physical damages to the pcb. Thanks everybody who responded to this topic