Helldivers 2 - Anyone else noticed very high CPU temps?

DarkSkela
Go to solution Solved by IkeaGnome,
4 minutes ago, DarkSkela said:

Everything CPU related should be totally stock, unless my Mobo (z790 AORUS Elite AX) changes some stuff at BIOS level. But I'm not sure about that.

I have the Elite AX as well. I can't remember if there was anything auto set. 

I'm leaving there here for you as some food for thought. It shows what I was talking about earlier with a lot more power for the last few fps in performance.

Spoiler

image.png.287d19b06d214e874be24a1ed7002f3a.png

Being on an air cooler, I'd probably just straight up use Derbauer's settings and set your turbo limits to 90. You could always play with it and find that limit of thermal throttling. Say if 100W keeps you at 95C but gives another frame or two then run that. 

I'm not around my computer, but IIRC I'm sitting around 180 or 200W. It's sharing rads with a 4090, but that's with my cooling being a 280mm and a 360mm rad. 

I recently started playing Helldivers 2, and I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I wanted to see how my CPU temps are looking, as I notice some slowdown when there is a lot happening in-game and saw that after about an hour of gameplay my CPU starts hitting very high average temperatures (See attached picture). I never had these sort of temperatures in any other games (The closest thing I've done which causes temperatures like this is rendering stuff). I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered these kinds of high CPU temps while playing the game?

[CPU: i9-13900k, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15]

(I'm aware that air cooling this CPU means expecting higher temps, but I've never had them this high)

hd2temps.png

13900K is ridiculously power consuming...

What's the power draw ? Over the cooler capacity (around 280W iirc) it can't dissipate heat fast enough and you end up throttling

Also do you have a contact frame ? Useful to get better contact and then better temp

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

11 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

13900K is ridiculously power consuming...

What's the power draw ? Over the cooler capacity (around 280W iirc) it can't dissipate heat fast enough and you end up throttling

Also do you have a contact frame ? Useful to get better contact and then better temp

Pretty sure even tough my Mobo unlocks the power limit for the cpu, I've never seen it draw much more than ~260W. Iirc Noctua also lists the 13900k as supported by the NH-D15 on their website. I guess mainly I just didn't expect this game to be as CPU hungry as it is. Also I do not have a contact frame currently, might be looking into getting one when I do my next mini-upgrade.

< removed by moderation >

2 hours ago, DarkSkela said:

Pretty sure even tough my Mobo unlocks the power limit for the cpu, I've never seen it draw much more than ~260W. Iirc Noctua also lists the 13900k as supported by the NH-D15 on their website. I guess mainly I just didn't expect this game to be as CPU hungry as it is. Also I do not have a contact frame currently, might be looking into getting one when I do my next mini-upgrade.

Check your BIOS to make sure there's no "auto overclock" setting checked. 

I'd check mount pressure. 54C seems high for idle. 

Edited by LogicalDrm

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

11 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

You really need to update this information. AM5 CPUs tend to be closer to their TJMax of 95C due to the thicker IHS. They're designed to be ran at 95C.

Modern Intel also tends to be much closer to TJMax if you're looking at anything i7 or i9. 

Check your BIOS to make sure there's no "auto overclock" setting checked. 

I'd check mount pressure. 54C seems high for idle. 

The 54C was most likely because I opened HWInfo while the game was already running, idle is normally more like 40-44C based on my room's ambient temp.

35 minutes ago, DarkSkela said:

The 54C was most likely because I opened HWInfo while the game was already running, idle is normally more like 40-44C based on my room's ambient temp.

Have you looked into undervolting? On our i9's Intel gives a whole lot more power to the chip for the last couple % of performance. The same is done with R9 chips. A whole lot more power just to beat out the competitor by a couple FPS. 

Ideally, I'd like to see a 360mm or larger AIO on modern I9s, but you don't have one. With a little taming it can run on a D15. I had my 12900k to a "comfortable" spot on a D15. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

13 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Have you looked into undervolting? On our i9's Intel gives a whole lot more power to the chip for the last couple % of performance. The same is done with R9 chips. A whole lot more power just to beat out the competitor by a couple FPS. 

Ideally, I'd like to see a 360mm or larger AIO on modern I9s, but you don't have one. With a little taming it can run on a D15. I had my 12900k to a "comfortable" spot on a D15. 

I've had a cursory look at it, although when I measured again while playing, this time looking at the power draw, peak power draw was around 185W, which should be inside the D15s possibilities iirc. As I would hypothesize, its mainly one or two cores spiking to >90C that causes the whole package average to increase, although I'm not as knowledgeable about CPU temps as I'd like to be.

34 minutes ago, DarkSkela said:

I've had a cursory look at it, although when I measured again while playing, this time looking at the power draw, peak power draw was around 185W, which should be inside the D15s possibilities iirc. As I would hypothesize, its mainly one or two cores spiking to >90C that causes the whole package average to increase, although I'm not as knowledgeable about CPU temps as I'd like to be.

What's your core voltage at?

For reference, I've got a 13900k too. If I leave it at stock, I can get it to thermal throttle no problem on a full custom loop. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

What's your core voltage at?

For reference, I've got a 13900k too. If I leave it at stock, I can get it to thermal throttle no problem on a full custom loop. 

Everything CPU related should be totally stock, unless my Mobo (z790 AORUS Elite AX) changes some stuff at BIOS level. But I'm not sure about that.

4 minutes ago, DarkSkela said:

I'm leaving there here for you as some food for thought. It shows what I was talking about earlier with a lot more power for the last few fps in performance.

Spoiler

Being on an air cooler, I'd probably just straight up use Derbauer's settings and set your turbo limits to 90. You could always play with it and find that limit of thermal throttling. Say if 100W keeps you at 95C but gives another frame or two then run that. 

I'm not around my computer, but IIRC I'm sitting around 180 or 200W. It's sharing rads with a 4090, but that's with my cooling being a 280mm and a 360mm rad. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for all the resources! I'll have a look through everything and then figure out what I'm going to do. I'll mark the thread as closed for now. Again, thanks for your help!

IIRC I've been getting ~80C as my max temp when I play.  For comparison, I was just playing Control and had a max temp of 74C.  I'm running a 14700K with a Thermalright Phantom Spirit and 4060 Ti 16GB.  I run Helldivers at 1440p with ultra quality (not native) but otherwise max settings at basically a locked 60, and I have Control at max settings with DLSS at around 80.

I did a quick search on the Helldivers subreddit the other day and saw a few similar posts, with some saying the PC port is simply not optimized that well and that high temps and low performance are pretty normal.

I just built this PC a week ago and it's my first, so I don't have a ton of games I know my temps of off the top of my head, but those two I do.

• 1 month later...

dude, custom water cooling is usually assembled for your processor, air cooling is just ridiculous for it