AV1 YouTube and General AV1

I recently got into AV1 research and see that Youtube pretty much supports AV1 on resolutions 1080p and higher automatically, and can be somewhat forced on lower ones. youtube-dl can also help 馃檪

I have 3 laptops - legion 5 pro (i7 13700H, RTX 4070), macbook pro 16 M3 pro, and a work laptop which is a chromebook (AMD Ryzen 5 5625C, no dedicated gfx on chromebooks and thats partially why I hate them)

TL;DL - macbook and legion should have no problem decoding AV1 on YT or otherwise and do not, but my question is why / how can my chromebook do it? AFAIK Ryzen iGPUs didn't have AV1 hardware decode till the 6000 series, which leads me to believe decode is being done in software.

If so AV1 decode at 4k should be the tallest of tasks for my chromebook with 8gb ram and R5 5625c. Plus the CPU usage barely crosses 20% while I play the video.

Video is a 4K youtube video decoding in AV1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38XMIMrIg_g)

Someone decipher please...

The bigger challenge is making old content sound and perform well. Aka watching metal music videos in 380p.

There's some image to be had... wizardy.

Then there's some more magic... beyond the capabilities of any machine. 馃檪