I think my case is missing/has broken front panelcable connectors, can I use this instead?

Hi guys so I got a used case  I'm having to swap this pc I bought over to, I'm pretty sure the case I bought is the Thermaltake Overseer RX-I [not 100% sure got it used and first thought it was the Chaser model but after researching some more pretty sure its the Overseer model] and I finally got everything switched over into the case [hooray for first build if could call it that? hah] but I can't find the frontpanel cables for the life of me, below is a pic of what I think is them but they just have silver metal tips whereas old case cables were covered in plastic and labeled. I have a spare io cable set from a open air testbench case I had lying around and I was wandering would it be ok to just plug this cable into the MOBO just to use the power switch the cut the pc on? Currently cant use the power button because no cables so I was wandering if could use this cord or if it would hurt anything? Mobo is a MSI B-550-A PRO if that matters. Apologize if this is a dumb question still new to pc stuff and just wanna get my pc back a going.

I'm gonna crosspost this on the case forum to because I'm not sure where this technically belongs, again newb here sorry

edit: accidently said io cables meant front panel connector, the cable that goes to power button, usb port, etc

edit 2: forgot pics on this post lol

frontio.jpg

frontio2.jpg

frontio3.jpg

TLDR: I'm just wanting to know if I can use this front panel cable just to cut pc on

41 minutes ago, RussianTaco said:

TLDR: I'm just wanting to know if I can use this front panel cable just to cut pc on

You mean the cable in the first picture?

If so, then yes, but it won't be connected to your case front IO buttons and leds

The last pic looks like the inside of a dupont connector if you take off the plastic shroud, but I'm not sure, because the pic kinda blurry and makes the pins looks so big. Needs a pic comparing it to dupont with shroud to be sure.

If it IS the inside of a dupont cable, then you can put dupont plastic shroud on them, or buy a short (or long) female to female dupont cable and use it as an extension cable.

Or you know, just use the terminal as is without plastic shrouding, but considering how close front panel pins are on motherboard, and dupont can be kinda wobbly there's a chance they'll touch other pins/dupont terminal beside them.

Basically :

The front panel POWER pins on the motherboard works by being shorted, the switch installed in the case I/O (or the one soldered to your spare I/O cable) is a momentary switch.

Example : You can pretty much use anything that is electrically conductive to short the power pins momentarily, to turn on and off your PC. Like a flat screwdriver, metal plier.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

13 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

You mean the cable in the first picture?

If so, then yes, but it won't be connected to your case front IO buttons and leds

The last pic looks like the inside of a dupont connector if you take off the plastic shroud, but I'm not sure, because the pic kinda blurry and makes the pins looks so big. Needs a pic comparing it to dupont with shroud.

If it IS the inside of a dupont cable, then you can put dupont plastic shroud on them, or buy a short (or long) female to female dupont cable and use it as an extension cable.

Basically :

The front panel POWER pins on the motherboard works by being shorted, the switch installed in the case I/O (or the one soldered to your spare I/O cable) is a momentary switch.

Example : You can pretty much use anything that is electrically conductive to short the power pins momentarily, to turn on and off your PC. Like a flat screwdriver, metal plier.

I've attempted to get a better pic but not having luck my phones junk hah, ok I'm going to attempt to just use this spare cable then since the other end is a power button I just wanted to make sure there was no risk of damaging anything, like I said I'm still new to pc building stuff and terrified of breaking my pc. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and giving a example of how it works 🙂

7 minutes ago, RussianTaco said:

I've attempted to get a better pic but not having luck my phones junk hah, ok I'm going to attempt to just use this spare cable then since the other end is a power button I just wanted to make sure there was no risk of damaging anything, like I said I'm still new to pc building stuff and terrified of breaking my pc. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and giving a example of how it works 🙂

A simple way is to compare the bare metal terminal with a dupont with plastic shroud, and see if their size is the same.

Or just buy a dupont plastic housing and try to put it over the bare metal terminal.

Although you still kinda got to figure out which ones is for POWER / RESET / HDD LED / POWR LED.

The Power & Reset pins doesn't care about polarity, but the LEDs for HDD & Power does.

Using the spare front panel cable module will be fine, I made & used one myself for testing stuffs.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

28 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

A simple way is to compare the bare metal terminal with a dupont with plastic shroud, and see if their size is the same.

Or just buy a dupont plastic housing and try to put it over the bare metal terminal.

Although you still kinda got to figure out which ones is for POWER / RESET / HDD LED / POWR LED.

The Power & Reset pins doesn't care about polarity, but the LEDs for HDD & Power does.

Using the spare front panel cable module will be fine, I made & used one myself for testing stuffs.

So its almost working, pc comes on and fans spin for a second but then everything cuts off...except the ram is staying lit up? but psu,gpu fans all that stops spinning but the rgb on my ram is staying lit up

3 hours ago, RussianTaco said:

So its almost working, pc comes on and fans spin for a second but then everything cuts off...except the ram is staying lit up? but psu,gpu fans all that stops spinning but the rgb on my ram is staying lit up

Best if you make a separate post for that in troubleshooting subforum, make sure you put your system full detail & what have you tried to troubleshoot as well.

https://linustechtips.com/forum/46-troubleshooting/

Refresh before you reply

Please don't "crosspost", one topic in the applicable subforum is all you need. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.