Sound quality is terrible; can it bed fixed? (AFAF) :P

DannyBoii
Go to solution Solved by Wiggen,

Has he double, tripple checked that discord is recording his voice from his headset microphone and not his laptop mic? This issue sounds to me that You are hearing him through his laptop mic / cam mic 

So my buddy uses the same discord server as I do; when he is on his desktop I can hear him clearly. On his laptop it sounds terrible. He says he's tried multiple headsets and using a different port for the steel series headset he uses. (He said it cost him 50 usd, he doesn't recall the exact name) His laptop is new, it's got a 4080 gpu (I don't remember the other specs aside form a i7 something something) He said it's an HP Victus. I amhoping someone might know of maybe driver updates that might be an issue or why it would sound so terrible. It's like he's talking behind a cloth. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Has he double, tripple checked that discord is recording his voice from his headset microphone and not his laptop mic? This issue sounds to me that You are hearing him through his laptop mic / cam mic 

6 hours ago, Wiggen said:

Will ask, didn't think of that. Thanks! (will follow up after talking to him)

Update drivers, update Windows, check Windows audio settings, check another headset with the laptop, put the current headset in another machine. 

Make sure that the system has been rebooted after an update. 

Basic troubleshooting steps first and then check the hardware.