Sandboxing

So I am using windows 11 and I have an external ssd that may not have the most "secure" stuff on it and I am not going to take the chance to get hacked. I used to use a built-in windows software known as windows sandbox but would there be a way to sandbox an entire drive and give the resources it only needs? What I am saying sounds like docker but this is for more heavy tasks that docker may not be well suited for. Thanks in advance 馃檪

Do you care about the data on this drive? I'd just wipe it, then it should be safe to use(yea there are attacks that can presist through a drive wipe, but there pretty rare).

You can pass a storage device to a vm, but windows really wants to聽 automatically mount volumes. You can disable this, but really depends on where the malware would be on this drive.聽

If you really want the data and have an old聽machine, which is also disconnected from the internet/local network, that you don't care possibly getting a virus or don't mind wiping if you do get a virus, maybe try putting it in that.

And with Electronics Wizardry's suggestions of telling windows not to automatically mount drives and doing it in a properly set up VM designed for virus containment.

This is for more "sensitive stuff" and not rlly malware if I said what this was I may get banned from the forum, I think you get it. It's not the dirty thing just in case u mix that up 馃槄. It does not have a virus afaik I use windows defender + clamav + virustotal to scan the whole thing but it's better to be safe than sorry. And this drive needs to be ran on the HostOs it can't have any VM on it etc. Is there any other way without having virtualization?聽

1 hour ago, goatedpenguin said:

This is for more "sensitive stuff" and not rlly malware if I said what this was I may get banned from the forum, I think you get it. It's not the dirty thing just in case u mix that up 馃槄. It does not have a virus afaik I use windows defender + clamav + virustotal to scan the whole thing but it's better to be safe than sorry. And this drive needs to be ran on the HostOs it can't have any VM on it etc. Is there any other way without having virtualization?聽

I mean, if there isn't a virus, then why can't you run it on your normal pc

No even if there is no virus/malware/trojan detected,I don't wanna take the chance.聽

1 hour ago, goatedpenguin said:

This really depends on what you mean by sandbox. The sandbox feature in Windows is a full on VM using Hyper-v under the hood.

Its hard to say much more without details about the threats your worried about on this drive.

If you already scanned it with anti malware on your system, the chance of malware is pretty low, and if there was malware on the drive that would run automatically, it likely would have ran by now.