Sfp network switch

I’m want to run a 150 ft  network run if not more to a different building  underground  to my understanding it’s not a good idea to run cat 5 underground because of some electrical issues could be wrong but I want to run fiber anyways so if anyone has good SFP switches that are relatively cheap please give me any recommendations

Thank you in advanced
[edit does anybody know a good supplier for fiber optic cable]

53 minutes ago, MaplePlays173 said:

I’m want to run a 150 ft  network run if not more to a different building  underground  to my understanding it’s not a good idea to run cat 5 underground because of some electrical issues could be wrong but I want to run fiber anyways so if anyone has good SFP switches that are relatively cheap please give me any recommendations

Thank you in advanced

If the only link that you need fiber for is the link between buildings, I'd just get regular switches and use media converters for the fiber run.  OR a switch with a single sfp port like a mikrotik RP260gsp

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB260GSP

https://community.fs.com/article/how-fiber-media-converter-works.html

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

If the only link that you need fiber for is the link between buildings, I'd just get regular switches and use media converters for the fiber run.  OR a switch with a single sfp port like a mikrotik RP260gsp

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB260GSP

https://community.fs.com/article/how-fiber-media-converter-works.html

The single port sfp or media converter is probably the cheapest and smartest idea, but I kinda want to be funny  and run fiber to my computer but that’s a really stupid idea 

If you've got the budget, get a switch for each end that has 10 gig SFP+ ports or better. That way traffic between the buildings won't be bottlenecked by a single gigabit connection between them.

Even if you don't have the budget for now, if you run single mode fiber you can always upgrade to 10 gig later.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

37 minutes ago, MaplePlays173 said:

The single port sfp or media converter is probably the cheapest and smartest idea, but I kinda want to be funny  and run fiber to my computer but that’s a really stupid idea 

Generally not really a great idea to go fiber to the PC. To the switch, by all means, but fiber as a patch cable on a short distance to something that gets plugged and unplugged often (more or less) is not that great. Extra cost and extra fragility vs copper for no speed advantage (unless you are going 25g or faster). If yo want the SFP in the computer to switch link, at least go with DAC insead of fiber. More durable, but you need to be pretty close to the switch.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you've got the budget, get a switch for each end that has 10 gig SFP+ ports or better. That way traffic between the buildings won't be bottlenecked by a single gigabit connection between them.

Even if you don't have the budget for now, if you run single mode fiber you can always upgrade to 10 gig later.

If I can get 2 10 gig switches I will. now do we know how much abusive can it  take because one of them is going to be mounted in a non-temperature control building so yeah

10 minutes ago, MaplePlays173 said:

If I can get 2 10 gig switches I will. now do we know how much abusive can it  take because one of them is going to be mounted in a non-temperature control building so yeah

Do you live in resolute Canada or Miami Florida? What sort of temperature and humidity ranges are we talking about?

19 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Do you live in resolute Canada or Miami Florida? What sort of temperature and humidity ranges are we talking about?

I don't know average humidity but we usually like 100°F Max in the summer