Need help with router network sotrage.

I try make network storage with router and I made local FTP server. With Android tablet this local FTP server work no problem but on Windows 11 it almost not work at all I can't open any file directly from that storage as well than delete somthing from that storage need every time manually refresh. I tried another method in Windows connect with samba but than I can't at all access to network storage. Any idea how make network storage on Windows 11 work properly ? With Android I open photos directly from this storage no problem but in Windows 11 any type file just open Microsoft Edge default page.

Ok I found solution by enable SMB2 with Powershell looks work everything fine but I'm still not know if SMB is local only or it can be accessed from WAN ? I don't need permission to access from WAN at all I want just use that network storage local.

6 hours ago, Winterlight said:

Ok I found solution by enable SMB2 with Powershell looks work everything fine but I'm still not know if SMB is local only or it can be accessed from WAN ? I don't need permission to access from WAN at all I want just use that network storage local.

All your file shares should be LAN-only unless you specifically open them up to the Internet.

SMB shared over the Internet is an extremely bad idea from a security standpoint. I'd worry if a router did that by default.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

44 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

All your file shares should be LAN-only unless you specifically open them up to the Internet.

SMB shared over the Internet is an extremely bad idea from a security standpoint. I'd worry if a router did that by default.

But how I can know if SMB shared over internet or not ?
Problem with local FTP server that I can't open any files dosen't matter what type file it always open Microsoft Edge default page.

Just now, Winterlight said:

But how I can know if SMB shared over internet or not ?

By default, it shouldn't be.

Check the settings on your router. (I can't give you more specific information than that without knowing what router you have.)

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

By default, it shouldn't be.

Check the settings on your router. (I can't give you more specific information than that without knowing what router you have.)

It don't have any settings for SMB it give just one option enabled/disabled and show adress.
There is 3 option share with SMB, FTP local, and FTP internet.

1 minute ago, Winterlight said:

It don't have any settings for SMB it give just one option enabled and show adress.

It's probably not open to the Internet. Like I said, opening SMB shares to the Internet is a very, very bad idea. Any competent router company would not do that.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

It's probably not open to the Internet. Like I said, opening SMB shares to the Internet is a very, very bad idea. Any competent router company would not do that.

Do you have idea how fix local FTP server ? With Android tablet it work fine but in Windows is total mess I can't open any file directly without copying it first to local disk.

Dosen't matter file type it always open Microsoft Edge default page.

1 minute ago, Winterlight said:

Do you have idea how fix local FTP server ? With android tablet it work fine but in Windows is total mess I can't open any file directly without copying it first to local disk.

Dosen't matter file type it always open Microsoft Edge default page.

Again, what model router do you have? It's difficult to give you good answers without this important information.

Try an FTP client like FileZilla.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

Again, what model router do you have? It's difficult to give you good answers without this important information.

Try an FTP client like FileZilla.

Tp-Link AX95

2 minutes ago, Winterlight said:

Tp-Link AX95

Thank you.

The USB sharing setup page looks like this:

image.png.d0769a8cf6252551195eeb8b9bf1e3bb.png

The "Internet" tick boxes are ones that can be accessed outside your network (WAN). If you don't want that, turn them off.

"Samba for Windows" is always on the LAN only, not on the WAN, so it's not accessible outside your network.

Connect to the "Local FTP" address using FileZilla.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Thank you.

The USB sharing setup page looks like this:

image.png.d0769a8cf6252551195eeb8b9bf1e3bb.png

The "Internet" tick boxes are ones that can be accessed outside your network (WAN). If you don't want that, turn them off.

"Samba for Windows" is always on the LAN only, not on the WAN, so it's not accessible outside your network.

Connect to the "Local FTP" address using FileZilla.

Well the more I dig the more confused become. I looking for more info and accidentally found that SMB at all should be disabled due it open port 445 that is very danger keep open. Actually I'm not have experience at all with network stuff I want just basic network storage that not be accessible from WAN and not put my network in danger due some extremally danger ports open. Btw even disabled SMB 1.0 and 2.0 that storage still accessible no problem for some reason.

3 hours ago, Winterlight said:

Well the more I dig the more confused become. I looking for more info and accidentally found that SMB at all should be disabled due it open port 445 that is very danger keep open. Actually I'm not have experience at all with network stuff I want just basic network storage that not be accessible from WAN and not put my network in danger due some extremally danger ports open. Btw even disabled SMB 1.0 and 2.0 that storage still accessible no problem for some reason.

For how you want to use it on local network, you want to be using SMB.

With ftp, you will always need to download the files to open them and can't open them from the server directly. 

SMB will still show if you disable 1 and 2. SMB current version is 3.1.1

1 should never ever be used due to vulnerabilities and 2 is outdated.