Find cooler by screw spacing 48mm x 48mm (not a PC)

CodeSailor
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 hour ago, CodeSailor said:

You cant look it up, just pick any single one and zipties it together somehow. => This is what I'm trying to do. But what cooler to use for it? Also this doesn't address the issue of still having to find a cooler that fits enough to be ziptied to the board...

Basically whatever fits and doesnt damage the board. Like people have put a nhd15 on a 1080 before (i think it was that) or a smaller be quiet on a raspberry pi 3 and pretty much machined custom mounting brackets for it to work as well as suppott for the weight. Then for the vrms they used some nvme heatsinks with a shroud over it that a smaller pc fan pushed air into for the gpu onr they did.

They all only partially answers the question, I still kinda hope that someone knows of something that would make reusing components like heatsinks more feasible in practice and reduce/remove the need to make one off custom cooler (mods).

Issue is that simply put once the dimensions or layout shifts of lets say a gpu, motherboard, raspberry pi,... nothing will ever fit again. You cant make something universal if the stuff you want to put it on does not adhere to a standard.

As for getting the data. You are like a super mega ultra niche user. Likr 0.000000000000000000000001% of the usecase for this product if even and any resources wasted on giving you a exact measurements diagram is considered a loss.

Some nicher companies/enthousiast companies/products may list them because they know their product may actually be used for that or they actually care about it but for any of the mass produced ones hell no.

Also once you have set measurements duplication is easier.

Off topic

For your gpu you could opt for a finstack that aligns with thr path of the airflow. Its how all thos controller cards n stuff do it yo get cooled effectively. Would not be surprised if some older cards cooler can be retrofitted with some copper shims and stuff for the vrms

Hello amazing community again,

did anyone else ever notice how hard it is to find a cooler for anything other than a CPU mount? I'm currently looking for one for some pcb and it proves almost impossible to search for coolers by screw hole spacing instead of a standardized socket mount.

Does anyone know how to search for a cooler that way without just bulk buying everything under the sun and measuring/trying it?

It'd be really nice if someone could help me with this. I'm interested in both the general approach for how to find a cooler that way as well as as cooler that have a square mount and where screws are 48mm x 48mm (measured from/to the center of the screw holes).

I've looked at these so far, but hard to tell if they'd fit or not without measuring, right? (TDP is probably somewhere around 160W):

(The thing that so far looks like it fits the best are old coolers for the Intel Socket 479, but they appear to be very rare these days too... https://aerocooler.com/dynatron-i31g-socket-479-1u-active-cpu-cooler/ )

Thank you in advance, I'm really feeling kinda lost here right now.

18 minutes ago, CodeSailor said:

Hello amazing community again,

did anyone else ever notice how hard it is to find a cooler for anything other than a CPU mount? I'm currently looking for one for some pcb and it proves almost impossible to search for coolers by screw hole spacing instead of a standardized socket mount.

Does anyone know how to search for a cooler that way without just bulk buying everything under the sun and measuring/trying it?

It'd be really nice if someone could help me with this. I'm interested in both the general approach for how to find a cooler that way as well as as cooler that have a square mount and where screws are 48mm x 48mm (measured from/to the center of the screw holes).

I've looked at these so far, but hard to tell if they'd fit or not without measuring, right? (TDP is probably somewhere around 160W):

Thank you in advance, I'm really feeling kinda lost here right now.

What exactly are you trying to cool anyway ??

If it's for some kind of niche or DIY thing, you might have to DIY a solution.

Either by modifying an already available ones, making some sort of adapter, or go ham and truly make a new one from scratch.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Well, at the moment I'm looking at replacing the cooler of a graphics card. But the question was more in general, I.E. also for things like 3d Printers or "modding" some router or switch to have better cooling or something.

If it's for some kind of niche or DIY thing, you might have to DIY a solution.
Either by modifying an already available ones, making some sort of adapter, or go ham and truly make a new one from scratch.

And this is exactly what I was asking about. How do you get to know these measurement so that you can DIY a solution without having to buy tons of different coolers and measure them... I.E. is there some kind of chart of all the different CPU/GPU/... cooler types and their mounting measurements or something.

38 minutes ago, CodeSailor said:

at the moment I'm looking at replacing the cooler of a graphics card.

Depending on what gpu it is NOT as simple as just finding a cooler that fits the gpu die. The vrms, ram,... also need ACTIVE cooling with a heatsink if it's anything remotely powerful from it's release time as otherwise you'll end up quickly with a dead card.

39 minutes ago, CodeSailor said:

And this is exactly what I was asking about. How do you get to know these measurement so that you can DIY a solution without having to buy tons of different coolers and measure them... I.E. is there some kind of chart of all the different CPU/GPU/... cooler types and their mounting measurements or something.

You don't. You buy a cooler and then adapt from there.Unless it's actually impossible to fit you can make it work with zipties, drilling holes in the mounting plate,...

basically none of the cooler mods use the standard mounting holes unless you get very lucky and things line up.

Well, at the moment I'm looking at replacing the cooler of a graphics card. But the question was more in general, I.E. also for things like 3d Printers or "modding" some router or switch to have better cooling or something.

@jaslion said all what I wanted to say. 😬

Btw, people wouldn't get notification of your reply unless you quote them using the reply button or tag their name like I did with Jaslion's.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Depending on what gpu it is NOT as simple as just finding a cooler that fits the gpu die. The vrms, ram,... also need ACTIVE cooling with a heatsink if it's anything remotely powerful from it's release time as otherwise you'll end up quickly with a dead card.

I know, it's "only" a cheap 4060 I got from ebay, but I want to fit it into a 2 HE server case (yes I have server cases at home, they just fit too perfectly into the "diy Ikea LACK rack"), and yes I could have kept the stock cooler but I wanted to "optimize airflow", and not have the GPU disturb everything by not passing through air from front to back 😅.

But this thread was mainly intended for the issue of finding the right cooler and not for my current "gpu project". I actually encountered it numerous times in the past already. E.g. when I was looking for a way to add a heatsink to the IOMMU chip that Dell thought doesn't need any cooling and causes the notebook to be at 100% fan all the time (at least when hyper-v is enabled)

You don't. You buy a cooler and then adapt from there.

Well that's stupid. There should be a better approach. We have so many different used coolers already the only thing that prevents finding the "best fitting" one is that nobody provides the measurements but only "for socket xyz" or "for mainboard/notebook abc"...

Unless it's actually impossible to fit you can make it work with zipties, drilling holes in the mounting plate,...

Yea, but even though it would be kind nice if you'd have some kind of lookup table or something to see for each and every single one of these used/old ones what the actual dimensions of it are. At least that would enable us to "reuse" them and just because of the shear number of different cooler styles and fits it would be highly unlikely if none that at least kinda fits already exists.

On a side note, if you would like to get some details about my current GPU cooler replacement project:
I for now decided to just try using the "SilverStone SST-AR09-1700 LGA17000" (the contact plate is 32mm x 46mm), which together with the "adapter aluminum" should technically work).

My current plan is:

1. Screw off the bottom mounting bracket of the "SilverStone SST-AR09-1700 LGA17000" (I use that one because it's the "kind" of cooler I wanted to have and I could get my hands on one almost immediately)
  2. Order a 60mm x 60mm x 5mm aluminum "sheet", should hopefully "arrive" from the hardware store in a few days (at least I probably also won't get there before the package would arrive, so...)
  3. Figuring out how to do 3d design for a CNC mill/router (a 20w diode laser almost certainly won't work. At least that's what everyone except for one random guy on YouTube says...)
  4. Actually do the 3d design for the CNC mill/router
  5. The most challenging part, so far at least, looking for someone with a CNC router that I can use for free/cheap to convert that aluminum plate into the correct shape to serve as my "adapter plate".

basically none of the cooler mods use the standard mounting holes unless you get very lucky and things line up.

Yea I know. That's why you can't just search "cooler for this thing". But what I expected to be able to do is search/filter by e.g. "I need a cooler that is X-wide, Y-deep, and Z-tall" or "I need a square cooler that has the screw holes X mm apart from each other". Because that would make diy-ing such a solution way simpler. E.g. I just now while writing this, by shear coincidence, found that the intel 479 socket was almost exactly the same size as what this 4060 Pegasus uses. (But I neither have such a cooler "accessible" right now, nor do I see one that would be better fitting than the stock one...)

/cc @Poinkachu

I know, it's "only" a cheap 4060 I got from ebay, but I want to fit it into a 2 HE server case (yes I have server cases at home, they just fit too perfectly into the "diy Ikea LACK rack"), and yes I could have kept the stock cooler but I wanted to "optimize airflow", and not have the GPU disturb everything by not passing through air from front to back 😅. Also the "need" for diy-ing this is partially also driven by the the Nvidia attitude of "no, we don't want anyone to put the new chips into a single slot (slim) cards" even though it literally is just the cooler design that currently prevents it (ok, and the pcb layout at least for the slim part, but noting I can do there [at least not until now], maybe I'll try to design my own custom pcb once the 40s chips are paperweights and cheap enough to order in bulk to "distroy", it's still something that I always wanted to try but never actually did. Also yes, that task would not just be complicated in theory but even more in practice and I probably should learn BGA board repair stuff first. But I kinda enjoyed the VHDL and FPGA class at Uni, soooo someday, maybe, I guess ~ /me keeps dreaming of candy mountain and uni corns 😶‍🌫️...).

Well that's stupid. There should be a better approach. We have so many different used coolers already the only thing that prevents finding the "best fitting" one is that nobody provides the measurements but only "for socket xyz" or "for mainboard/notebook abc"...

Yea, but even though it would be kind nice if you'd have some kind of lookup table or something to see for each and every single one of these used/old ones what the actual dimensions of it are. At least that would enable us to "reuse" them and just because of the shear number of different cooler styles and fits it would be highly unlikely if none that at least kinda fits already exists.

On a side note, if you would like to get some details about my current GPU cooler replacement project:
I for now decided to just try using the "SilverStone SST-AR09-1700 LGA17000" (the contact plate is 32mm x 46mm), which together with the "adapter aluminum" should technically work).

My current plan is:

1. Screw off the bottom mounting bracket of the "SilverStone SST-AR09-1700 LGA17000" (I use that one because it's the "kind" of cooler I wanted to have and I could get my hands on one almost immediately)
  2. Order a 60mm x 60mm x 5mm aluminum "sheet", should hopefully "arrive" from the hardware store in a few days (at least I probably also won't get there before the package would arrive, so...)
  3. Figuring out how to do 3d design for a CNC mill/router (a 20w diode laser almost certainly won't work. At least that's what everyone except for one random guy on YouTube says...)
  4. Actually do the 3d design for the CNC mill/router
  5. The most challenging part, so far at least, looking for someone with a CNC router that I can use for free/cheap to convert that aluminum plate into the correct shape to serve as my "adapter plate".

Yea I know. That's why you can't just search "cooler for this thing". But what I expected to be able to do is search/filter by e.g. "I need a cooler that is X-wide, Y-deep, and Z-tall" or "I need a square cooler that has the screw holes X mm apart from each other". Because that would make diy-ing such a solution way simpler. E.g. I just now while writing this, by shear coincidence, found that the intel 479 socket was almost exactly the same size as what this 4060 Pegasus uses. (But I neither have such a cooler "accessible" right now, nor do I see one that would be better fitting than the stock one...)

/cc @Poinkachu

As previously said,

There's a lot of components that needs to be cooled on a modern GPU. And these components usually have different heights also different placement on other model/brand as well, so you can't just slap any big cooler and think they (components) all touches the heatsink. You may be able to work around it by stacking thermal pads, but whether or not it has diminishing returns after some thickness, idk.

As much as you hope for a system that allows you to search by mounting distance etc.

You won't find that in standard commercial websites, especially not in websites like ebay and such.

Best you can do is contact the seller and ask if they can measure it for you and hopefully they measure it right. Because not all people have a caliper, nor does everyone who has one can use it correctly. Not to mention a really accurate caliper is expensive, and the cheap one is...

Changing a GPU heatsink with other brand's heatsink is niche and I doubt 5% of GPU buyers doing it, hence why there's no habbit of measuring the screw distance and putting that info on product page. Especially because like @jaslion said above, these kind of heatsink usually made custom for the particular PCB / components they were designed for.

While for CPU heatsink it's pretty much standardized for each socket, so they just list "AM3, AM4, AM5, LGA1700, etc. Even simplified like that there is still peoples who ask whether a CPU cooler will fit their [Put a CPU & Motherboard model here].

If I were you, I'd probably just buy a PCIE riser cable & dock. Put the GPU somewhere outside the case.

That will most likely save me more money & energy, and gives the GPU a shit ton of air to cool itself with.

Also :

There were news of a single slot 4060 ti back then, but I doubt it's sold to average consumer.

https://videocardz.com/newz/galax-unveils-single-slot-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-max-gpu-with-16gb

Refresh before you reply

6 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

As previously said,

There's a lot of components that needs to be cooled on a modern GPU. And these components usually have different heights also different placement on other model/brand as well, so you can't just slap any big cooler and think they (components) all touches the heatsink. You may be able to work around it by stacking thermal pads, but whether or not it has diminishing returns after some thickness, idk.

I know, but thankfully that's kinda easy with the RTX 4060 Pegasus. The "stock cooler" is literally a chunk of aluminum that touches the main die and two thermal pads that connect the 6 RAM chips right next to it to the heat sink (they didn't even fill in the gaps in the fins of the heat sink for these btw.

So my replacement isn't that different. My aluminum adapter would even provide better coverage, as there are no air pockets right above the thermal pad...

As much as you hope for a system that allows you to search by mounting distance etc.

You won't find that in standard commercial websites, especially not in websites like ebay and such.

Best you can do is contact the seller and ask if they can measure it for you and hopefully they measure it right. Because not all people have a caliper, nor does everyone who has one can use it correctly. Not to mention a really accurate caliper is expensive, and the cheap one is...

Well, I already know that "ebay and such" don't have that information. That's kinda the point why I'm asking about it here to begin with. I obviously meant if anyone knows of such a site, or at least one that has all of the standardized socket types with all of their measurements listed.

Changing a GPU heatsink with other brand's heatsink is niche and I doubt 5% of GPU buyers doing it, hence why there's no habbit of measuring the screw distance and putting that info on product page. Especially because like @jaslion said above, these kind of heatsink usually made custom for the particular PCB / components they were designed for.

That's why I asked in general and not specific to GPUs. There are other areas where this kind of information also would be kinda helpful esp. within the hacker/maker/tinkerer space. Which I hoped to at least partially find here.

While for CPU heatsink it's pretty much standardized for each socket, so they just list "AM3, AM4, AM5, LGA1700, etc. Even simplified like that there is still peoples who ask whether a CPU cooler will fit their [Put a CPU & Motherboard model here].

Well, but where are the measurements for these standards then? Knowing all of the measurements for all of these standards already would be quite helpful. Especially because that would allow to check if a specific cooler is really custom or just a reused older or obscure standard?

If I were you, I'd probably just buy a PCIE riser cable & dock. Put the GPU somewhere outside the case.

That will most likely save me more money & energy, and gives the GPU a shit ton of air to cool itself with.

The riser cable is necessary anyway. The case is only 2HE, so a full size card doesn't fit either way. However this is a thinker project. It does not have to be economically viable or meaningful. And as I already said before, technically just the riser cable and the stock cooler would have worked. But I wanted to take this as an opportunity to get into the "diy cooler" space. Also I didn't intend to keep talking about this silly project of mine in that detail within this thread either. I opened this thread mainly because I wanted to know if there is some smart way to find kinda fitting cooler based upon their physical characteristics.

Also :

There were news of a single slot 4060 ti back then, but I doubt it's sold to average consumer.

https://videocardz.com/newz/galax-unveils-single-slot-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-max-gpu-with-16gb

I'd be surprised if Nvidia actually allowed them to build and sell that. The only way we're going to see single slot Nvidia GPUs ever again is probably by after market solutions. I.E. DIY-ing something...

40 minutes ago, CodeSailor said:

know, but thankfully that's kinda easy with the RTX 4060 Pegasus. The "stock cooler" is literally a chunk of aluminum that touches the main die and two thermal pads that connect the 6 RAM chips right next to it to the heat sink (they didn't even fill in the gaps in the fins of the heat sink for these btw.

So my replacement isn't that different. My aluminum adapter would even provide better coverage, as there are no air pockets right above the thermal pad...

So euhh take the shroud off and just stick it in the server. If it has thr bloweymatron airjets of fans that'll do enough airflow for it to be cooled probably.

41 minutes ago, CodeSailor said:

be surprised if Nvidia actually allowed them to build and sell that. The only way we're going to see single slot Nvidia GPUs ever again is probably by after market solutions. I.E. DIY-ing something.

It exists just China only for now it seems.

There has been multiple 1 slot card over the past 5 years. Most nvidia's quadro now rtx a now also rtx 5000 noe also named rtx 6000 series.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

So euhh take the shroud off and just stick it in the server. If it has thr bloweymatron airjets of fans that'll do enough airflow for it to be cooled probably.

Yea, but still not the topic of this thread. I should just have ignored the "What exactly are you trying to cool anyway ??" question from @Poinkachu, it's irrelevant to my question and it keeps derailing everything.

And could we now please get back to the actual topic and forget about the GPU?

The on-topic things we have so far are kinda disappointing and I still kinda hope that there is a gem hiding somewhere.

To summarize:

• Build your own custom cooler out of a fresh block of aluminum => Yea, obviously that would work. But I'd kinda like to first evaluate if the thing I need was already made either exactly as I need it, or in a form that only needs little modifications to it.
  • You cant look it up, just pick any single one and zipties it together somehow. => This is what I'm trying to do. But what cooler to use for it? Also this doesn't address the issue of still having to find a cooler that fits enough to be ziptied to the board...
  • Ask the seller to measure it => doesn't scale, also I'd expect only little to no replies...
  • Buy a crap ton of different coolers and see what fits. => Doesn't scale; Requires excessive space, money, and time. Also what to do with all the unused ones afterward?
  • Doesn't exist, but sockets are standardized. => And where can I find the measurements for all of the standardized sockets?

They all only partially answers the question, I still kinda hope that someone knows of something that would make reusing components like heatsinks more feasible in practice and reduce/remove the need to make one off custom cooler (mods).

You cant look it up, just pick any single one and zipties it together somehow. => This is what I'm trying to do. But what cooler to use for it? Also this doesn't address the issue of still having to find a cooler that fits enough to be ziptied to the board...

Basically whatever fits and doesnt damage the board. Like people have put a nhd15 on a 1080 before (i think it was that) or a smaller be quiet on a raspberry pi 3 and pretty much machined custom mounting brackets for it to work as well as suppott for the weight. Then for the vrms they used some nvme heatsinks with a shroud over it that a smaller pc fan pushed air into for the gpu onr they did.

Issue is that simply put once the dimensions or layout shifts of lets say a gpu, motherboard, raspberry pi,... nothing will ever fit again. You cant make something universal if the stuff you want to put it on does not adhere to a standard.

As for getting the data. You are like a super mega ultra niche user. Likr 0.000000000000000000000001% of the usecase for this product if even and any resources wasted on giving you a exact measurements diagram is considered a loss.

Some nicher companies/enthousiast companies/products may list them because they know their product may actually be used for that or they actually care about it but for any of the mass produced ones hell no.

Also once you have set measurements duplication is easier.

Off topic

For your gpu you could opt for a finstack that aligns with thr path of the airflow. Its how all thos controller cards n stuff do it yo get cooled effectively. Would not be surprised if some older cards cooler can be retrofitted with some copper shims and stuff for the vrms

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

Probably true. But I also would have expected that I'm the only userbase that would buy some random cooler that was harvested from some obscure niche 10-20 years old motherboard/gpu/notebook...