Ubiquiti UniFi Enterprise 8-Port sfp+

Stin6667

Good day,

I am planning on getting the Ubiquiti UniFi Enterprise 8-Port. The one with 2.5gbe, now I am  still new  to networking. On that switch there are 2 sfp+ ports now my entire network is rj45. Only the NAS and the Main Rig will have 10gbe. I was hoping I can put in a adapter in those 2 ports in the switch and just run rj45 cat6 cables (as they are about a meter apart). Now I have been reading and I found out using an adapter causes the switches to heat up. will it be a problem if I use both 10gbe ports (using adapters)?

Thanks

J

That particular switch is known to have heat issues. I would avoid it personally. I have one, and it overheated when I tried plugging in a U6 Enterprise access point. I have also seen other posts online of people complaining about the heat causing the is sfp+ to rj45 adapters to shut down.

20 hours ago, Bdavis said:

That particular switch is known to have heat issues. I would avoid it personally. I have one, and it overheated when I tried plugging in a U6 Enterprise access point. I have also seen other posts online of people complaining about the heat causing the is sfp+ to rj45 adapters to shut down.

Thanks for the reply!!! 
I have tried looking into it. The earliest I saw on issues relating to the unit were from 10 months ago.  And some have narrow it down to either cables and or bad firmware. I will keep this in mind as I have already gone and purchased it yesterday. I will put it in a well ventilated room. (praying that will work)

Thanks again for letting me know!!!!!!

Unifi.png

Unifi2.png

The 10Gbps RJ45 SFPs have always been kind of iffy. 

Being able to run a 10Gbps signal that way requires more power than what SFP+ was designed for. As a result it's always been kind of a gray area. Cisco didn't even use to make that kind of SFP, and I believe the ones they make today have reduced range. 

My advice is try to limit the distance as much as possible, and don't cram it full of those SFPs. Preferably I'd avoid having two 10Gbps copper SFPs next to each other. If you have four ports, only use those SFPs in two of them to leave some breathing room. 

If your devices are that close to the switch, and everything has SFPs (not 10GBASE-T), get a couple of 10 gig SFP+ DAC (direct attached copper) cables. They'll be much less expensive than a pair of 10GBASE-T SFPs.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

15 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The 10Gbps RJ45 SFPs have always been kind of iffy. 

Being able to run a 10Gbps signal that way requires more power than what SFP+ was designed for. As a result it's always been kind of a gray area. Cisco didn't even use to make that kind of SFP, and I believe the ones they make today have reduced range. 

My advice is try to limit the distance as much as possible, and don't cram it full of those SFPs. Preferably I'd avoid having two 10Gbps copper SFPs next to each other. If you have four ports, only use those SFPs in two of them to leave some breathing room. 

Thanks for that,

But unfortunately the only sfp+ ports the switch has  are next to each other. So in other words I shoulnt use them and wait to get a proper 10gbe switch?

linus.png

11 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

If your devices are that close to the switch, and everything has SFPs (not 10GBASE-T), get a couple of 10 gig SFP+ DAC (direct attached copper) cables. They'll be much less expensive than a pair of 10GBASE-T SFPs.

Thanks for the reply. But unfortunately, ( correct me if I  am misunderstanding) the only 2 devices ( soon be 2) that will use 10gbe are both rj45. Are their Dac to rj45 adapters or cables? 

1 minute ago, Stin6667 said:

Thanks for the reply. But unfortunately, ( correct me if I  am misunderstanding) the only 2 devices ( soon be 2) that will use 10gbe are both rj45. Are their Dac to rj45 adapters or cables? 

Should I get this to help with the heat?

linus2.jpeg

5 hours ago, Stin6667 said:

Thanks for that,

But unfortunately the only sfp+ ports the switch has  are next to each other. So in other words I shoulnt use them and wait to get a proper 10gbe switch?

linus.png

If I had to guess I'd say it will probably work fine. That switch has some extra space between the ports anyway, unlike many other switches.

9 hours ago, Stin6667 said:

A media converter can do the job, but that defeats the purpose because it and a DAC would cost more than a 10GBASE-T SFP would.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.