Constant demo-mode on STR-DE445

SmilesRising

Hello!

I've got a Sony STR-DE445 and everytime I unplug the power from it, it starts a demo mode when I plug it back in, is there any way to remove the demo mode all-together? 

It never used to be like this, I used to be able to unplug it from the wall and when I plugged it back in it stayed on the mode it was before I turned it off.. 

Watches and computers                    

25 minutes ago, SmilesRising said:

Hello!

I've got a Sony STR-DE445 and everytime I unplug the power from it, it starts a demo mode when I plug it back in, is there any way to remove the demo mode all-together? 

It never used to be like this, I used to be able to unplug it from the wall and when I plugged it back in it stayed on the mode it was before I turned it off.. 

That to me would suggest it either has bad battery backup or the NVRAM it is using to retain settings has failed in some way.

If its a battery you definitely need to find out as it may be leaking and over time destroy the PCB. 

If its NVRAM/NAND (which is more likely in a surround receiver) then you'll likely just have to keep it plugged in to retain settings and hope it doesn't get worse and eventually lose its entire firmware, as repairing could be complicated.

You could try re-flashing the firmware but I'd be reluctant given if the NAND is failing it could fail to write and brick it entirely.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

15 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That to me would suggest it either has bad battery backup or the NVRAM it is using to retain settings has failed in some way.

If its a battery you definitely need to find out as it may be leaking and over time destroy the PCB. 

If its NVRAM/NAND (which is more likely in a surround receiver) then you'll likely just have to keep it plugged in to retain settings and hope it doesn't get worse and eventually lose its entire firmware, as repairing could be complicated.

You could try re-flashing the firmware but I'd be reluctant given if the NAND is failing it could fail to write and brick it entirely.

if i turn it on and off veru quickly then the settings remain but if it goes longer, lets say around 5 minutes then it resets. So it might be the battery then? because if it was the memory it should wipe instantly when turned off?

Watches and computers