How to make a file server ( all file formats )

Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

AntiX linux is a pretty good choice for old stuff. Set up samba and you've got your network shares, can probably do light browsing with a tab or 2 or office work on it. Youtube will be a stretch.

Hello, I have an old PC with athlon 64 X2 5200+ and 2GB of ram. I was wondering what program/OS do I need to install. I have a 40GB 7200RPM boot drive and a 160Gb 5400RPM drive for the server. Please reccomend something.

While that CPU/RAM combo isn't gonna break any speed records, I wouldn't depend on either of those drives for "reliable" performance.  I don't even want to think how old that 40GB drive is for that to be sold in the marketplace.  I understand if funds are low but unless they are non-existent, try at least buying a refurbished hard drive on eBay that was manufactured in the last 6 years. 

But I'm just talking out my ass.

4 minutes ago, aggie113 said:

While that CPU/RAM combo isn't gonna break any speed records, I wouldn't depend on either of those drives for "reliable" performance.  I don't even want to think how old that 40GB drive is for that to be sold in the marketplace.  I understand if funds are low but unless they are non-existent, try at least buying a refurbished hard drive on eBay that was manufactured in the last 6 years. 

Heh, both worked 22100 hours not even in me. I just want something. I don't need reliability. I have a 10000 hour drive that's in worse condition. This PC i had with a sempron 3200+ so invested enouhg in the system. What OS should I install? Also what GPU would you reccomend just for Youtube?

1 hour ago, intelamdallthemisnice said:

What OS should I install?

A very lightweight linux. That CPU is coming up on 20 years old. Nothing remotely modern will work well on it.

AntiX linux is a pretty good choice for old stuff. Set up samba and you've got your network shares, can probably do light browsing with a tab or 2 or office work on it. Youtube will be a stretch.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

29 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

A very lightweight linux. That CPU is coming up on 20 years old. Nothing remotely modern will work well on it.

I agree,

Possibly... getting GPU video acceleration to work in browsers can be a pain on linux though.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, intelamdallthemisnice said:

Do you think with a GPU I'll be able to watch Youtube

What motherboard is in the system? What GPU are you going to try and use?

22 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

What motherboard is in the system? What GPU are you going to try and use?

Asus M2V-MX. I don't know the first PCI-e x16  card for dirt cheap and 1GB of RAM. 400W psu and the GPU that i think to buy is a Palit GTS 450. The server was till I got it.

What kind of budget are you working with? Personally, I don't think it's worth the electric cost to run that PC as a NAS if you've "only" got 160 gigs of non-redundant storage. It would be better as a retro XP machine, if you stick an SSD into it.

It will host SMB file shares without issues, but if you try to use it as a desktop you're going to have a bad time. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 12:17 PM, Needfuldoer said:

What kind of budget are you working with? Personally, I don't think it's worth the electric cost to run that PC as a NAS if you've "only" got 160 gigs of non-redundant storage. It would be better as a retro XP machine, if you stick an SSD into it.

It will host SMB file shares without issues, but if you try to use it as a desktop you're going to have a bad time. 

super late reply, ordered a Nvidia Quadro NVS 310 1GB. Will install windows 7 x64 when it comes until i get a gaming pc from a secondhand store. Don't really care that much, thought why not do this, but it's a fail I guess. After  I get a new PC to use instead of my lenovo 11th gen i3 laptop, I will put back the 500GB Seagate I have windows XP 64-bit.