Need Help

Guys I need someone help.

There are few things going on at my house and I need to know a few things

I run a podcast and right now am storing my shows on a external 8tb Drive

the other things is my dad pc is working as a file server, but is so slow when I need to boot it up

to have to scan a document.

I was thinking of a file and print server.

But is there such a animal of both combined

I dont want to have to build a PC.

Any help will do.

LINUS PLS HELP ME!!!

Yea you can easily setup a file and print server on the same box.

If you don't want to build  a PC what hardware do you want to use?

If tht system takes a long time to boot why not leave it running or put a SSD in it if it doesn't have one already?

45 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea you can easily setup a file and print server on the same box.

If you don't want to build  a PC what hardware do you want to use?  I have seen NAS File Systems on Amazon. My issue is we have software on my dads PC, we have cannon util for scanning.  Would I be able to install that software on a NAS...

If tht system takes a long time to boot why not leave it running or put a SSD in it if it doesn't have one already? Not sure there is room.  Its a older PC.  The PC goes to sleep and sometimes shuts down.  I usually keep it on, but this time it shut down.

Just now, RAMiles said:

Can you show an example? Are these just off the shelf nas boxes?

Is this a USB scanner only? Getting that canon app on other platforms is gonna be a pain, so its likely best to just have a PC plugged into it directly. You can also get a mini PC for about the same price as those NAS units that use little power, and just remote into it as needed.

You can change sleep/shutdown settings if thats the issue. I'd replace the HDD with a SSD, then it will have room.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you show an example? Are these just off the shelf nas boxes?

https://www.amazon.com/TerraMaster-F4-210-1GB-Attached-Personal/dp/B07ZV7K7GX/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1YSCC08MBQA6V&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.EKEyO-rXMptup6xAIJFy-KIeXVmXRpCnKiUayACYbxSRUCbplpXMwyxcsWOdVKmess1pmXKJKmchiv3oTeZ3i8qQP8K-Ile4nAYnLRRhzCw2tKltOj8TyXB8D_tvAyyRRbaeEvTk-_OUc8VViTTlqeCPNxbcX8mZM0RS1HucoCv6kKwmj_bf8XkkpHebhk_SURqGH_5qRqb7K2ijobAK1VaLepxHijOl5B_pb8oXkqY.jKhaOG4aq2ZlwmIxArom5eAfxAGprKQkoCs-xI2cb8k&dib_tag=se&keywords=file%2Bserver&qid=1708380871&sprefix=file%2Bserver%2B%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-10&th=1

Is this a USB scanner only? Getting that canon app on other platforms is gonna be a pain, so its likely best to just have a PC plugged into it directly. You can also get a mini PC for about the same price as those NAS units that use little power, and just remote into it as needed.

You can change sleep/shutdown settings if thats the issue. I'd replace the HDD with a SSD, then it will have room.

Also should i get a NAS storage to keep all my files and such..

like I said, all my stuff is kept on my 8tb external drive.

Also my dads PC is old and in bad shape.. The Drive just crash and its trying to repair it..Kept coming up with no bootable drive

I am not sure if the cmos is dying or is the drive dying.