Ideas for Image upscaler for PS2/Wii?

I like playing PS2 games and occasionally Wii games. 

I also like to see what I’m doing and where I’m going. 

The resolution for both my Wii and PS2 is capped at 480i and they don’t seem to want to fit to the TV’s aspect ratio. When I try to change the settings on the PS2 it sort of works, but when I go into a game it doesn’t work so well, especially for NFS Most Wanted. What I mean is I usually have to zoom in on the picture on the TV, and then reset the zoom when I go into a game because I can’t see half of it.

I am also using a Fosmon AV splitter as I only have room for on AV cable on the back of my TV, but I didn’t really run into this issue until I got a new TV (my old one was at most probably 720p, and I’m now using a 1080p tv)

Any ideas for what I could do? If an upscaler isn’t the answer I’d be happy to know what else I could do. 

(I know this post might be a bit of a mess, I also didn’t really know where to go for answers)

So most PS2 games did not support widescreen. Some did. It was the beginning of widescreen TVs so it's just down to a game by game basis. If it does support widescreen, you will have to change a setting in the game itself.

Changing the TV settings based on the game is unavoidable. You even had to do it back then. For games that don't support widescreen, your choices are to stretch the picture (make things fat), zoom-in the picture (cut off the top and bottom), or letterbox the picture (add bars to the sides). That's it.

No upscaler can make the game support widescreen. There is one bit of progress that has been made recently, and that is emulators. PCSX2 can apply widescreen hacks to try to make the game properly widescreen. It doesn't always work (menus are usually stretched) but when it works it does something that was never possible on original hardware.

1 hour ago, thevictor390 said:

So most PS2 games did not support widescreen. Some did. It was the beginning of widescreen TVs so it's just down to a game by game basis. If it does support widescreen, you will have to change a setting in the game itself.

Changing the TV settings based on the game is unavoidable. You even had to do it back then. For games that don't support widescreen, your choices are to stretch the picture (make things fat), zoom-in the picture (cut off the top and bottom), or letterbox the picture (add bars to the sides). That's it.

No upscaler can make the game support widescreen. There is one bit of progress that has been made recently, and that is emulators. PCSX2 can apply widescreen hacks to try to make the game properly widescreen. It doesn't always work (menus are usually stretched) but when it works it does something that was never possible on original hardware.

Alright, thanks for the info!

Any chance you could recommend anything just for making the image quality a bit sharper and easier for the eyes?

14 minutes ago, Screamingmini2009 said:

Alright, thanks for the info!

Any chance you could recommend anything just for making the image quality a bit sharper and easier for the eyes?

Component cables. https://www.amazon.com/Komifa-Component-Cable-Composite-PlayStation/dp/B07VCT41QV

I think you have to change a setting on the PS2. Personally I don't use my PS2 anymore I emulate the games on PC where you can turn up the resolution.