Old CPU dangling on 97 degrees at idle after new thermal paste.

unzoid

I've got a I7-4790, old cpu but the most I can work with as of now. I just applied new thermal paste as I am almost sure the thermal paste hasn't been replaced for more than 5-6 years up until now, it was at around 95 degrees and the most obvious answer would of course be to replace the thermal paste, but it hasn't helped in the slightest, the actual pc feels decently cold i've got around 3 fans and a stock intel cooler. I really doubt it would genuinely hang at 97 at literal idle.

2 minutes ago, unzoid said:

I've got a I7-4790, old cpu but the most I can work with as of now. I just applied new thermal paste as I am almost sure the thermal paste hasn't been replaced for more than 5-6 years up until now, it was at around 95 degrees and the most obvious answer would of course be to replace the thermal paste, but it hasn't helped in the slightest, the actual pc feels decently cold i've got around 3 fans and a stock intel cooler. I really doubt it would genuinely hang at 97 at literal idle.

its a stock intel cooler, they are trash and awful lol. They will not be enough for the hotter chips of that gen.

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

its a stock intel cooler, they are trash and awful lol. They will not be enough for the hotter chips of that gen.

Well, i've got that processed already, but in no way should it be sitting at 97 at idle... right? 

4 minutes ago, unzoid said:

Well, i've got that processed already, but in no way should it be sitting at 97 at idle... right? 

Depends on whats going on in the back ground. Sounds off for sure, but if you have programs running in the background doing stuff or downloads, yeah it can do that with that cooler. Is the cooler getting any airflow over it? or is that fan spinning for it?

14 minutes ago, unzoid said:

Stock Intel cooler? On a 4790k???

😄

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

5 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Stock Intel cooler? On a 4790k???

😄

Yeah, on a non K, it's reaching 10 years..

Is the cooler clean, no dust between fan and heatsink ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

43 minutes ago, unzoid said:

Yeah, on a non K, it's reaching 10 years..

Ok thought it was a k

Yet stock cooler is crap

And I had a 2014 4770k still working sold it 2 months ago 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

@unzoid

Sky high idle temps when using the Intel OEM cooler are usually caused by only having 3 of the 4 push pins pushed all the way through the motherboard. If you cannot see the backside of the motherboard then pull the motherboard so you can see if all 4 pins are seated. This will probably solve this problem.

Many people push the pins in one at a time. That is usually a mistake. Best to push two diagonal pins in at a time. When you do one at a time, often times the last one does not go all the way through the motherboard. 

A buddy of mine recently had a similar issue with his 4790k. Thermal paste was dried up with the intel stock cooler and he was just thermal throttling immediately all of the time. I bought him a ThermalRight Assassin 120mm cooler from Amazon for like $17 and it has been running cool and fast even with a slight overclock. Honestly for the price you can't go wrong, comes with mounting for AM4, AM5, 115x 1200 and 1700 so you might even be able to reuse the cooler on your next build. 

Heres the link to the Amazon listing I bought it from, only thing is that the RGB isn't addressable and you can't turn it off. So if that bothers you there is a non-RGB version as well. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C53K3CCN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

On 2/15/2024 at 8:38 PM, unclewebb said:

@unzoid

Sky high idle temps when using the Intel OEM cooler are usually caused by only having 3 of the 4 push pins pushed all the way through the motherboard. If you cannot see the backside of the motherboard then pull the motherboard so you can see if all 4 pins are seated. This will probably solve this problem.

Many people push the pins in one at a time. That is usually a mistake. Best to push two diagonal pins in at a time. When you do one at a time, often times the last one does not go all the way through the motherboard. 

Fixed long time ago, but still, you are correct.