Quest 3 PCVR

bensinspade

Im thinking of buying a Meta Quest 3 for PCVR use wireless, i dont have a Wifi6 router (yet), and im wondering if my PC specs is enough for Quest PCVR, RTX 3070 Suprim X, 32GB RAM, Intel core i5-12400f

17 minutes ago, bensinspade said:

Im thinking of buying a Meta Quest 3 for PCVR use wireless, i dont have a Wifi6 router (yet), and im wondering if my PC specs is enough for Quest PCVR, RTX 3070 Suprim X, 32GB RAM, Intel core i5-12400f

your pc can handle it, i don't see how having a wifi 6 router relates to this since you should probably use a wired setup for the headset

20 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

your pc can handle it, i don't see how having a wifi 6 router relates to this since you should probably use a wired setup for the headset

I was thinking of using the headset wireless and the pc with ethernet cable 

21 minutes ago, bensinspade said:

I was thinking of using the headset wireless and the pc with ethernet cable 

you can try but youll probably get motion sick

52 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

you can try but youll probably get motion sick

Why is that? A difference in hz with tethered and wireless? 

Wireless will be fine on wifi 6, even 5 is ok but make sure the host pc is hard wired to your router and you have good signal quality on your headset where you're planning to play or you may loose image quality or have video lag/drop outs which isn't fun.

also, pick up one of the aftermarket headstraps with the 8000mah battery built in as the stock headset battery usually doesn't last 2 hours on its own.

i'd use the virtual desktop app to handle streaming from the pc as I've found it more reliable and better performance than the meta airlink or the steam app.

If you're playing more seated sims you can get a link cable with supplemental power injection (enough to actually charge the headset while you play) but it can be very iffy getting it to connect at USB 3 speeds on some USB 3 ports and at least for the Kuject cable must be connected in a very specific order and timing or it wont work correctly.

While a working USB 3 connections will give you higher bandwidth for the video stream I only use it for flight sims where i'm going to be playing seated for several hours as being able to play room scale stuff wireless is a big selling point.

Yep your setup is more than fine. Everyone's network is different, so that will remain to be seen, but I've used my Quest 1 and now Quest 2 exclusively wireless on my wifi (no dedicated router, no wifi 6) without any issues. It'll just come down to your router, the location, and a bit of luck (lack of interference, etc).

3 hours ago, ki8aras said:

Quest headsets use an encoded video stream even when plugged in over USB, there is no display input. So they're not amazing for PCVR unfortunately.

On 2/12/2024 at 3:47 PM, jre84 said:

i own one. why are you telling people they are no good for pcvr?

I didn't say no good I said not amazing. In terms of picture quality they're not as good as a dedicated PCVR headset with display input, that's all.

such as? these 5 year old headsets are not king anymore. the big draw was refresh rate and resolution, to negate motion sickness, the quest 2 fixed all that. they work just as well as a pcvr headset as they do standalone.

and yes as a pcvr headset they are amazing especially the quest 3. times have changed, index hasn't been king for a while now, and owning one along with a htc vive is a huge waste of money

if you had said that 4 or 5 years ago I would agree.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/oculus-quest-2

its 2024 and things have changed, the quest 3 is now king and the quest 2 at 250 usd is the best bang for buck and excellent for pcvr. if you have any questions brother just ask.

5 hours ago, jre84 said:

such as? these 5 year old headsets are not king anymore. the big draw was refresh rate and resolution, to negate motion sickness, the quest 2 fixed all that. they work just as well as a pcvr headset as they do standalone.

and yes as a pcvr headset they are amazing especially the quest 3. times have changed, index hasn't been king for a while now, and owning one along with a htc vive is a huge waste of money

if you had said that 4 or 5 years ago I would agree.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/oculus-quest-2

its 2024 and things have changed, the quest 3 is now king and the quest 2 at 250 usd is the best bang for buck and excellent for pcvr. if you have any questions brother just ask.

The fact is that the Quest 2/3 uses a compressed streamed video for PCVR. Wireless or wired. People seem to have mixed results on its picture quality:

https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/Bad-quality-on-on-quest-link-but-on-pc-high-quality-image/td-p/1012676

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/vmh299/quest_2_link_cable_gives_horrible_quality_in/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/x6kqqo/quest_2_linkwith_cable_looks_much_worsegrainy/

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/oculus-quest-2-link-cable-settings-needed.208528/

I didn't search anything negative to find these they are the top results for "quest 2 link cable picture quality"

At the very least it seems there is a lot of fiddling to do to get the best out of it depending on your setup.

people will complain always.

I own it and it is crystal clear compressed or not, but I won't argue as it doesn't change my experience nor others. just one of many fish saying its fantastic

3 hours ago, jre84 said:

people will complain always.

I own it and it is crystal clear compressed or not, but I won't argue as it doesn't change my experience nor others. just one of many fish saying its fantastic

Same. Always been curious how we can all have such different experiences. Even if I haven't tried all of the wired display port headsets personally, I still know what a clear image is, and can even compare it to a regular flat screen gaming experience*, and I just see no issues with my Quest while playing wireless. 

*To clarify, I'm not saying playing in my quest is indistinguishable from playing on a 1440p monitor at high preset. But aside from some some occasional screen door type stuff inherent to the displays themselves, I just do not see these compression issues. Especially with how absolutely atrocious some people make it sound (nobody here, I'm thinking more on Reddit lol).

yeah like I have a lg B2 and people are like why don't you spend the extra 300 and get a c3, its way better, the B2 has banding....so I bought a B2 and I literally see nothing wrong with the image it's incredible in every way even brightness seems good. now the quest 2, although I don't use it much when I do it looks sharp clear with no compression artifacts. it has good latency it has a great image. we can get technical but if you don't see it when actually using it why mention it. its like pointing out something that you cannot notice or see. I just don't get complainers, they put down everyone and everything just to be miserable. I get what this guy is saying and that was not directed at him just in general. but yeah I own a quest 2 and it looks incredible and the expereince in half life alyx is phenom. as a pcvr headset i see no faults in use, on paper sure it would be better with 12000hz display, like it could always be better and ill just politely say I dont see your point.