Obsessive/Compulsive flip-flop between luxury and practicality

LloydLynx

I have these two laptops. An old reliable brick, and a nice shinny new netbook.

One I've had forever, it's sticker bombed, the OS is setup just right, physical modifications to make it better for me, just being a lot more comfortable and practical, I have so much history and sentimentality with this laptop. But sometimes using that old thing feels dirty and crusty in my mind. Instead I'm drawn toward the minimalism of the netbook, no mods, runs a pretty fresh clean OS, even though this laptop is a lot less comfortable, and might not have everything I want/need. Not to mention it sometimes has power issues too, reducing how much I can rely on it.

Now sometimes an old customized Firefox config with Ublock and theming and all my stuff is good because it's practical and familiar. Other times a fresh slate without any customization is more appealing even if it's worse when put into practice. Maybe you wanna use the default settings in a program or game even though you know it's a worse experience.

Or maybe a more relatable one would be cars. I used to obsess over getting my Ranger to look and run the best even if I was wasting money. Now I've accepted that it's a cheap to maintain daily driver that I should just keep using until it finishes rusting out.

Why must we do this to ourselves?

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain