Creating a custom Windows ISO.

Gat Pelsinger

Hi, I am creating a custom Windows 10 ISO to install it on my PC, but I am planning to debloat it and remove some critical components which are not that critical for me, like Windows defender. Is it possible after installation to bring it back without a re-install? Also, should I be careful removing any other stuff that might potentially break Windows?

Edit - I am also going to remove a lot of Windows apps. All those can be re-installed after the Windows installation, right?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

In my opinion, "debloating" isn't necessary unless you're trying to install Windows on a potato.

But if you insist, download NTLite and have fun.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

39 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

Hi, I am creating a custom Windows 10 ISO to install it on my PC, but I am planning to debloat it and remove some critical components which are not that critical for me, like Windows defender. Is it possible after installation to bring it back without a re-install? Also, should I be careful removing any other stuff that might potentially break Windows?

Edit - I am also going to remove a lot of Windows apps. All those can be re-installed after the Windows installation, right?

Just adding a video guide to NTLite 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

@Needfuldoer @DoctorNick

I am using NTlite and I know how to use it. I am just curious if I can get back what I have removed from the ISO after the installation if something has broken because of it.

Microsoft owns my soul.

33 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

@Needfuldoer @DoctorNick

I am using NTlite and I know how to use it. I am just curious if I can get back what I have removed from the ISO after the installation if something has broken because of it.

Some of it maybe, really depends what it is 🙂 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

7 hours ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

Manually removing IE breaks a lot of stuff with explorer and is hard to get back. Would not recommend.

If you get rid of the Microsoft Store and its apps they can be brought back.

@TheLANguy What? Removing IE breaks stuff? IE is something I never use, so how does that break anything?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Just now, Gat Pelsinger said:

@TheLANguy What? Removing IE breaks stuff? IE is something I never use, so how does that break anything?

IE is tied heavily to Windows Explorer. Disabling it in the "Turn Windows Features on or off" does not get rid of all the files.

@TheLANguy

What does it particularly break?

Microsoft owns my soul.

1 hour ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

@TheLANguy

What does it particularly break?

It causes issues with the functionality of File Explorer and Control panel. Also some apps rely on its files.

If I remember correctly this is also the case for Windows Media player.