[Merch idea] An actually trustable flash drive

kejyhov

Unzuverlässige Flash-Speicher

tl,dr: Flash drives are getting worse!!! Yes, I know, didn't think it was possible either.

So why don't LMG uses LTTStore's reputation for delivering good products(although at a price) and make a flash drive?

I'm not sure how many people actually need those nowadays, but I know that I personally would get one if available.

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What do you mean with getting worse?

Memory-chips quality and some outright scams. Some flash drives are using even cheaper garbage-tier Micro SD cards as memory-chips.

2 minutes ago, ThousandBlade said:

Old nvme or mSATA SSD makes great flash drives. There are enclosures sold everywhere.

Those are pretty good and fast, but a bit bulky to carry around in a keychain/lanyard.

Don't buy the flash drive on wish or AliExpress. This "article" is an advertisement for a  data recovery company.

Buy them from known manufacturers through trusted sales channels. 

If you want very trustable flash drives: look at the industrial side e.g. SwissBit

edit: Would I trust an LTT USB-stick as very high quality? No. Absolutely not.

Just look what went wrong with the backpack (zipper/carbineer, stands upright, double layer) and flash memory QC/supply chain management is significantly more challenging than figuring out that the production version of the backpack doesn't has double layers of fabric.

At best LTT could do a collaboration with an established manufacturer.

People never go out of business.

1 hour ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

At best LTT could do a collaboration with an established manufacturer.

That would be great too. Reselling good products is already better for the consumer.

And thanks for the SwissBit suggestion. I'll be looking into it.

Man, I can't even remember the last time I used a USB drive.  Except maybe my Unraid server that boots off of one but I built that many years ago.

7 hours ago, kejyhov said:

That would be great too. Reselling good products is already better for the consumer.

And thanks for the SwissBit suggestion. I'll be looking into it.

Why is reselling good products better for the consumer? Just buy the existing good product instead.

how so? if they partner with an existing manufacturer, it will likely just be a re-badge of an existing drive, with a markup.

There are only 3 manufacturers for the chips... Pretty hard to get better than Kingston, SanDisk, A-Data etc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

USB flash drives (and memory cards for that matter) are a cheap and disposable means of transporting easily replaced data. Always back up their contents.

If you want a removable drive that's reliable, put a "real" SSD in an enclosure.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

24 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

Why is reselling good products better for the consumer? Just buy the existing good product instead.

19 minutes ago, Lunar River said:

how so? if they partner with an existing manufacturer, it will likely just be a re-badge of an existing drive, with a markup.

Exposure. How can someone buy something if they don't even know that the product exists?

3 hours ago, kejyhov said:

Exposure. How can someone buy something if they don't even know that the product exists?

Like I said, there are already premium manufacturers. Pick anything from them. The connector is the first thing to fail.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah, LTT are much bigger and more well known than Samsung, Kingston, SanDisk etc.

Those manufacturers have good quality products but none of them offer them in cute designs. If you want those nice looking rubber USB-sticks they are all garbage quality.

That's where LMG could make a difference: Combining design and quality.

People never go out of business.