HELP I'm Switching to a Mackbook...

For the past 8 years, I have been using a windows HP Envy laptop with 8 GB of mem among other specs. I use my laptop for various "norm" tasks and then also for light photo and video editing in Adobe. I want to switch to a macbook, but am unsure of what to switch to. I want to make sure I am making the best decision as the Mackbooks are expensive and I want it to last a couple of years before another upgrade. Can I have some help? Would an M1 be enough or should I go for a M2? Do I even need to go as high as a M chip or can I stick with Intel chips? 

I was looking at the M1 Macbook Air (13.3 inch) with 8 GB of memory and 256 of storage. --- https://www.costco.com/macbook-air-13.3-inch---apple-m1-chip-8-core-cpu%2c-7-core-gpu---8gb-memory---256gb-ssd-silver.product.100688289.html

Or the Mackbook Pro M1 with 16GB of memory. --- https://www.backmarket.com/en-us/p/macbook-pro-2020-13-inch-m1-8-core-and-8-core-gpu-16gb-ram-ssd-256gb/9643c60c-d0c6-41c3-89a5-24cf3dc62a2e#l=10&scroll=false

1 minute ago, PrinterName21 said:

Do I even need to go as high as a M chip or can I stick with Intel chips? 

If you're buying a Macbook, get an Apple Silicon version. They are a massive leap in every regard when compared to their Intel predecessors and well worth the extra cost. 

3 minutes ago, PrinterName21 said:

Would an M1 be enough or should I go for a M2?

The M1 and M2 chips are very similar, just small clock speed bumps and a few extra things like the ability to run more than one display. Unless you need one of those extra features or the price is the exact same, saving money on the M1 version is a good idea. 

As for which of those two machines to get, I'd try to get 16GB of RAM if you can afford it, but that's about the only thing I'd care about. Even 8GB is usable since MacOS is much better at handling memory allocation, but I'd still try to get 16GB for "future proofing."

Quick question on that then. The M1 can only run the laptop's display and another through the usb-c ports? Also, thanks for your help!

1 minute ago, PrinterName21 said:

Quick question on that then. The M1 can only run the laptop's display and another through the usb-c ports? Also, thanks for your help!

Apple Silicon base versions (M1, M2, and M3) all only support the built-in display and a single extenral. Bypassing this limit requires 3rd party USB display adapters powered by DisplayLink or Silicon Image. Alternatively, you'd have to bump up to a model with Mx Pro, Max or Ultra to by-pass the limit. You can look up the specific display limits of any Apple product here: Apple - Support - Technical Specifications

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you're buying a Macbook, get an Apple Silicon version. They are a massive leap in every regard when compared to their Intel predecessors and well worth the extra cost. 

The M1 and M2 chips are very similar, just small clock speed bumps and a few extra things like the ability to run more than one display. Unless you need one of those extra features or the price is the exact same, saving money on the M1 version is a good idea. 

The M2 chip is limited in the same was as the M1 chip in regard to display. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

As for which of those two machines to get, I'd try to get 16GB of RAM if you can afford it, but that's about the only thing I'd care about. Even 8GB is usable since MacOS is much better at handling memory allocation, but I'd still try to get 16GB for "future proofing."

I’d take the 512GB SSD over 16GB for basic tasks. Though I’d also look at a used M1 Pro 14” atm as they’re going for around 1000

11 minutes ago, RabbidEwok said:

The M2 chip is limited in the same was as the M1 chip in regard to display. 

Probably mixing up the M2 Pro vs. M1 Pro in that regard, thanks. 

12 minutes ago, RabbidEwok said:

I’d take the 512GB SSD over 16GB for basic tasks.

I can understand that, though I'm of the mindset that you can always get an external SSD while you can't get a RAM upgrade. 

13 minutes ago, RabbidEwok said:

Though I’d also look at a used M1 Pro 14” atm as they’re going for around 1000

I can second that, I do love my M1 Pro 14", though whether that's worth for OP is up for debate. 

6 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Probably mixing up the M2 Pro vs. M1 Pro in that regard, thanks. 

M1 Pro can use more than one external display 😉

I can understand that, though I'm of the mindset that you can always get an external SSD while you can't get a RAM upgrade. 

true but a larger SSD gives more durability for swap and external SSDs are messy and can get lost. 

I can second that, I do love my M1 Pro 14", though whether that's worth for OP is up for debate. 

It’s just they’ve dropped a lot recently on the used market. They go for 800-1000 on eBay atm. 

looks good. the display is a pretty big upgrade. I think you will be happy with it...go for it man