TV w/ATSC 3.0 DRM Encrypted: Wasting my time holding out for?

My sole purpose:  Watching Football OTA in 4K.

What I really want is a STB DVR for time shifting and pausing - something it sounds like may never be allowed.

So far:

• There's no 4K.
  • DRM Encrypted may not work
  • Not sure if 3.0 signal is stronger than 1.0 (that would be important to me)

Hisense U8K is only manu @ box stores w/Nextgen Logo on box which really limits selection.

What I want for my TV:

• Size
  • Perfect Black (mini LED just fine)
  • HDR NO!  Watch in pitch black room and won't wear sunglasses.

THINKING:  3.0 is not worth ruling out TVs that don't have 3.0 - besides, you never know how it will work with DRM encrypting in your local market.

ATSC 3.0 is the future of broadcast TV, but it's not going to be the only broadcast TV standard for quite some time. It's less susceptible to interference than ATSC 1.0, so it should push the "digital cliff" out further.

Depending on your market, there may be one station acting as the "ATSC 3.0 lighthouse", carrying all of the market's stations over one broadcast. (Yes, even competitors. The TV industry is just weird like that.) Copy protection may or may not be enabled.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:38 PM, MrCreosote said:

THINKING:  3.0 is not worth ruling out TVs that don't have 3.0 - besides, you never know how it will work with DRM encrypting in your local market.

Well LG pulled out of 3.0 tuners due to loosing a case on a patent dispute. Lets just say that adoption of 3.0 tuners has been slow. If push comes to shove they will likely make external tuners.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.