GPU Upgrade - From RTX 2060 Super 8GB

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
25 minutes ago, Mario_W said:

Budget (including currency): GBP 450 (500 max)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Various games - esport titles, AAA games, and VR games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current GPU: RTX 2060 Super 8GB

Main monitor: 1440p 240hz

I'm looking for a GPU upgrade without spending too much. Currently considering the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB in which case I could potentially cover about half the cost by selling my current card. I've seen a lot of very mixed opinions on this card, but it seems to be the best option as far as I can tell. Would this still be a bad deal? I am biased towards nvidia as I've never had an AMD card, so I might very well be missing a better deal from the red side. 

Appreciate all help

Rest of current build:

- i5-12600k

- Gigabyte Z690 UD AX ATX

- 32GB DDR5-4800 CL38

- Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold

If you can stretch it to 530 the 4070 is much better deal for 1440p gaming.

its 31% faster on average at 1440p over the 4060 Ti .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BZDYZ4V5?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

I am also biased and will probably only own Nvidia cards but at this price range I must admit that the AMD equivalent are just better value overall, they also age a lot better than Nvidia cards.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Various games - esport titles, AAA games, and VR games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I'm looking for a GPU upgrade without spending too much. Currently considering the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB in which case I could potentially cover about half the cost by selling my current card. I've seen a lot of very mixed opinions on this card, but it seems to be the best option as far as I can tell. Would this still be a bad deal? I am biased towards nvidia as I've never had an AMD card, so I might very well be missing a better deal from the red side. 

Appreciate all help

Rest of current build:

- i5-12600k

- 32GB DDR5-4800 CL38

25 minutes ago, Mario_W said:

Appreciate all help

Rest of current build:

- i5-12600k

- 32GB DDR5-4800 CL38

I am also biased and will probably only own Nvidia cards but at this price range I must admit that the AMD equivalent are just better value overall, they also age a lot better than Nvidia cards.

If you cant stretch your buget to get a 4070, i would say your best bet new would be the 7800XT if you are willing to make the change to AMD and want to go current gen, you could also safe some money and look for a RX6800XT which is close in performance to the 7800XT but its last gen.

Another option is the RX7700XT but honestly its just so close in price to the 7800XT that is not really worth the money saved with UK prices. 

1 hour ago, Mario_W said:

Currently considering the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB in which case I could potentially cover about half the cost by selling my current card. I've seen a lot of very mixed opinions on this card, but it seems to be the best option as far as I can tell. Would this still be a bad deal?

The main problem with this card is that it is too expensive (i.e. priced like a tier higher) and while the 16GB will probably help maintain the visual quality much better into the long-term than what the 8GB card will, you can't add extra performance and the 4070 is already a big chunk faster, with almost double the memory bandwidth.

Unfortunately the 4060 Ti 16GB has the same bus as the 8GB, so it is less helpful to performance at higher resolutions than you'd think.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:42 PM, Hinjima said:

I missed this video in my research, that's a great comparison! I know that given the current state of GPU's it's not that much, but half a grand for a GPU still sounds crazy to me...

The 4070 definitely makes more sense for the current pricing, it's about 19% more expensive based on a quick search. I'll look into saving up a bit more and upgrading to this one instead.

Thanks for everyone's help!

27 minutes ago, Mario_W said:

I missed this video in my research, that's a great comparison! I know that given the current state of GPU's it's not that much, but half a grand for a GPU still sounds crazy to me...

Thanks for everyone's help!

I guess it depends on how you look at it.  I spent 1300 on an RTX 4080 in 2022... People spend more on a two week holiday to Mallorca while I have been gaming 6-8 hours a day since November 2022!  I'v gotten more fun per dollar per hour out of this expensive GPU than a holiday.  Same for a game.. 45 bucks for a 60+ hour game while one would easily spend that on an evening out.   As you can tell.. I am not much of a social fella^^

This is why I love gaming, its actually not too bad 😄

The 4070 is definitely the better purchase and would pair very nicely with your 12600k 🙂